Flush insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgabriel

Sep 16, 2008
TN
We are getting ready to build a house. We would like to have a flush insert. This will not be our primary heat source but would like a unit that can help heat the house. Can someone give me some recommendations? Do I need to know the dimensions of the insert I'm planning on buying before the blue prints are drawn? I have been looking at the Avalon perfect fit. Has anyone had any experience with this model?

Is a flush insert any better than a fireplace with blowers?

thanks

You are asking about inserts - so I assume that you want a "fireplace" in this house. Inserts are basically wood stoves that originally were meant to be stuck inside a masonry fireplace. Now some inserts are fireplaces themselves and are allowed for zero clearance installations (where you don't need a masonry fireplace and chimney around it, but you still need proper venting). Probably the most affordable and best heat would be had from a freeestanding stove and chimney pipe up through your ceilings/roof and out the house. If you want a fireplace look then inserts or fireplaces are where to look. Do a lot of reading at this site and also find some of these manufacturers online, use their dealer locators and go out and do some talking (or call on the phone).

While you're building give serious thought to placement of this appliance and also how you plan to move wood to it.

Some manufacturers: Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Travis Industries (Avalon, Lopi, and Fireplace Xtrodinare are all theirs), Jotul, Hearthstone, Woodstock.

Good luck.

MarkG

Welcome. From the description, it sounds like you are looking for a zero-clearance fireplace. The Avalon Perfect Fit is designed to "insert" into an existing fireplace. Quadrafire, RSF, BIS, Kozy, Napoleon all make ZC fireplaces. If you do a search on those names + "fireplace" in the hearth forum you will find many threads discussing their virtues, installation, etc. Some units are ductable which helps distribute the heat throughout the house.

Definately sounds like you want a zero clearance fireplace. I just wanted to add a few more brands to look into:

Kozy Heat
Fireplace Xtrordinaire
Magnum

Fireplaces come in many different sizes with different clearances to combustible mantles and such, so you would want to have somewhat of an idea before building.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.