1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

For the EPA stove burners..

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by HotCoals, Dec 1, 2012.

?

What type of stove do you have?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2013.
  1. Tube

74.0%
  2. Cat

26.0%
  1. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Or, you know, any stove large enough to provide heat for your specific needs. Last I checked, a Harmen works just fine, which, has no burn tubes, by the way.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    One thing ill say for my harman ,i think it burns more completely than my other(burn tube) stoves cuz i clean out the other stoves of ashes daily ,the harman anywhere from a week to 2 weeks.
  3. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    No experience with cat stoves. My burn tube stoves have served me well over the past 10 years. Even have a smoke dragon which did what is was supposed to. So I would stay with my tube stoves. Besides I like the KISS principal.
  4. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    tube stove might be a better choice for the zombie apocalypse, as it might get harder to find replacement cats
  5. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I guess I better stock up!
    evilgriff likes this.
  6. DTrain

DTrain Member

Loc:
    Stow, MA
    A chimney sweep that also services stoves recommended the tube to me. He said that sometimes the cat access door can warp and there can be trouble opening the door or worse, trouble getting it closed again.
  7. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    This tells me you need a new sweep. Cuz, the area in bold makes no sense what so ever.
  8. DTrain

DTrain Member

Loc:
    Stow, MA
    So a cat is not housed inside a panel or door. Perhaps I misunderstood what he was explaining.
  9. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    My cat is in a housing there is no door.
  10. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    There is a by-pass door though on a Bk.
    But I can't really see that happening to it...maybe on a diff stove brand..I dunno.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Perhaps some are thinking burn times are the same as efficiency?
  12. hotprinter

hotprinter Member

Loc:
    North Pole, Alaska
    I started the blaze king November 4 and have burned nonstop since then. Today december 2 is the first day I have emptied the ashes. I don't let it go out to empty them either. It is amazing to me how efficient this bk is. Nearly 1 month of solid burning and only 1.5 buckets of ash. Love it.
  13. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    While I've owned all three of the most common technologies (I still own a Harman and a BKK), for me the cat is the clear winner for ease of use, performance, burn times, efficiency, and even maintenance. With the BK King I can get enough heat to warm the house very quickly if need be, or I can let is simmer for 24-36 hrs between reloads during the shoulder seasons. During the coldest months I can easily go to 12 hour reloads while still only doing 3/4 reloads. The thermostat makes it so easy to use even the Mrs. has no problem with using it (and that says a lot for those that don't know her!). The thermostat makes the need for air adjustments a thing of the past. Load it with wood, get it heated up, engage the cat and set the desired temp for the next 12-36 hours... done! I only have to empty the ashes once every cord or so and cleaning the cat only takes about 30 seconds, but I only do that about once a year as preventive maintenance. I have no idea how long the cat will last in this stove, but I'm on season #4 with it and it still works great. If the cat went tomorrow, I'd have no issue with spending a couple hundred for a replacement as the stove is a dream and the replacement cost of the cat is a small price to pay to for such as easy to operate stove. And while on the topic, I've taken my cat out to inspect it a couple of times, and I'm sure I could replace my cat in under 10 seconds if I had the replacement sitting there ready to go... it's a non issue with this stove.

Honestly, I can't image an easier stove to use than the BKK, it really is about as hassle-free as burning wood in a stove can get.
    weatherguy and HotCoals like this.
  14. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    That's funny. I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine the preppers choose tubes over cats as well. :)

I'm happy with my tube stove heating my drafty cabin. I came from a smoke dragon so big improvement.
  15. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Really happy with my stove -- well if I could have gone back in time I might have gone back and told myself to get the blue black. That said, I wouldn't bat an eye lash at the idea of going with a cat stove either. As long as the fuel is good . . . usually the stove will be just as good. Seems like there are very few bad stoves being made these days -- just bad fuel going into good stoves.
    DTrain likes this.
  16. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Exactly often times I just throw 4 splits in and crank up the air ,all the fire one could hope for can be viewed,when bedtime comes load her up and worry what happens 12 hours later.
  17. Maple man

Maple man Burning Hunk

Loc:
    cairo ny in the catskill mtns
    when our stove was new yearly cleanings were easy but then the bolts to hold the plate near the cat warped and were very hard to take then off it was a old country flame insert it heated that old house real nice :)
  18. k9brain

k9brain Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    I'm happy with the Nap 1100, if I loaded with oak and locust after 10 pm I'd have coals in the morning to start another fire. Still struggles when temps dip below 30.

I'm still new at burning. I wish there was a stove exchange program so i could try a different stove every couple months to see which works best for this house.
  19. Elusive

Elusive New Member

Loc:
    Linden, Michigan
    You must not have to go up or down many stairs :)
  20. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    For the first time since i have had the mag i have to say i am satisfied with it.
  21. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    I love my liberty but if I had it to do over again I would go with a blaze king, but only having a 6in flue I would only be able to get the princess, which would probably heat my house but I want the king. All this blaze king info on here in driving me crazy I want one so bad. Wish I knew then what I know now
  22. HotCoals

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    When I bought the cat BK I almost bought the stove you have..nice looking and a very good heater.
    I had to drive a lot farther to get the BK.
  23. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    FWIW, there are many King's being run on 6" (don't ask how I know ;) ), but I realize there are potential ramifications with such an install.
  24. HotCoals

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Other then when reloading maybe ...because of the size of the firebox..wonder what the problem would be?
    Seems it would be easier to keep a 6" flue warmer then a 8.
  25. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I have a tube burner. I love this unit. I love the look of the secondaries. For my situation and what I paid I am fully satisfied. If I had a larger capacity to store wood, I would seriously consider a Blaze King. At this time, in this house, under these restrictions, I can't see how I could have done better.
    Fod01 likes this.