Ford Explorer Won't Pass Emissions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ThePhotoHound said:
UPDATE

I have replaced the upper ball joint (the one that failed). I have also freed up the stuck EGR valve. Hopefully this cures the P0401 code I was getting. However, I also found that the round rubber part of my gas tank filler neck (that holds the nozzle in place when filling the tank) is broken off. (The metal part that the cap threads into it just fine.) I pulled it out, but there's no way to glue it back on. Could this be causing a vacuum leak, thus causing the P0401? Or does the gas cap seal the tank completely?

Second problem is this: I am on day 59 of 60 with the failed sticker (no lectures please). I know I have to drive at least 50-75 miles after the fix for the code to clear out of the OBD-II system... I will hit this mark after freeing the stuck EGR, but if it is something else (like a DPFE sensor) I will need additional time and mileage after changing the sensor (a $120 part, mind you).

So here's the question... how does everyone feel about driving on an EXPIRED REJECTED inspection sticker? If you're not so confident, any ideas on how to get around this mileage requirement? Or is it time to put this baby on blocks and stick the gas pedal until we reach 75 miles??

PhotoHound...

..."I'm by no means an expert on Fords (or much of a 'fan' either)" ...but I do have "friends" that 'turn wrenches' and a 'few that inspect vehicles'...

...The "broken filler neck" could very well be causing the trouble code. Depending how the EVAP system is setup on the explorer if it isn't properly 'pressurized' it can cause trouble codes...so yes my advice to you figure out a way to fix it so your fuel system is 'pressurized'...

Part of the 'Mass TRACE 99 inspection program' as originally proposed... had a process to check the fuel EVAP system (although no inspection stations ever really did it and it 'fell by the wayside' so to speak...and IMHO rightly so...hooking a sensor to the fuel filler neck with wires and hoses??? It's a car...not a hospital patient...WTF!!!)

As far as "Driving with an expired rejection sticker"... If you are a "gambling man"..... Go for it!!!!

One word of advice though: Pay real close attention to who is following behind you...lol That cop in the rear view mirror???

...The cops have laptops right in the car these days...AND your vehicle info thru the RMV tells them EXACTLY WHEN your vehicle was inspected...The sticker on the windshield doesn't mean squat anymore....

You would be surprised "how often the cops run your plates in Massachusetts" (I have 'a friend' ..."run my plates every so often just out of curiousity" since I travel so much of the state...and to see if there is any info "in the remarks section"...)

It's a 'bold new world post 9/11'....

Believe it or not...MSP cruisers are equipped with a camera that snaps the plate and runs a 'query' to see if you "are of interest (use your imagination WHY...it has to do withsomething that happened in 2001)"....

How lucky are you???

I guess it all comes down to the odds...and "how bored the cop is"....

Photo...

Snap some pics and post them...of the "broken filler neck"...you got me curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.