Forecast is for snow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
It was 65 degrees F today. Starting at 1 this morning, it is supposed to rain until about 3 am, at which time it will get cold enough to freeze and start snowing. Before it's done at about 1 pm tomorrow, 6 - 10" of snow are called for, bottoming out at 15 degrees early Friday morning. Sounds like a mess!

Reactions: vinny11950
Its been a strange few days hasn't it?

Up here near Boston it was raw and rainy on Tue, supposed to warm up Tue night but it didn't and we got an unexpected freezing rain in the early hours that turned the roads into a black ice skating rink for the wed morning commute - I couldn't even get to my office there where so many accidents and road blockages. There was a 55 car pileup that close both I-93 and Rt128/I-95 for 3 hours. Mess.

Wednesday afternoon hit 55F and felt like spring.

Right now its 28F and we are on our way to a predicted 18inches of snow. Parts of the coast are in Blizzard warning.

The amazing thing is, facebook just reminded me we had the EXACT same snowstorm on this day (Feb 9) in 2013! How bizarre is that?

OK, 11inches yesterday but it compacted down to 6 and is hard as a rock. Spent 2 hours snowblowing and raking hte roof.

Now the Sunday storm has been upgraded to 6-10.

Whats going on hearth? Quiet in here, I remember these threads used to go on for pages with stories of members battling ice, Bart loosing power and Dix in a freakesh sub-arcitc deep freeze on LI....

Maybe the political climate is taking attention away from the climate climate? Just one theory...

I think the crazy weather is just becoming the new normal....

Wednesday afternoon I was riding my bicycle in 60 degree weather - it was a great ride. 24 hours later I was clearing 12 inches of snow from the front of the house.

Getting ready for Round 3 later today.

Storm on Thursday: I'm guessing 8-10 inches. Powder. It was difficult to tell due to the drifting.

Storm on Saturday: Forecast to be 1-3 inches . . . looks like it is more like 6-8 inches. Powder. The powderiest of powder. Shoveling the porch was like shoveling air.

Storm Sunday afternoon-Monday: They're forecasting 18-24 inches . . . we'll see.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Up to now Winter was feeling more like an extended Fall . . . I didn't expect to experience all of Maine's Winter in all of 5 days. Expect Spring Tuesday, maybe?

Getting ready for Round 3 later today.

Storm on Thursday: I'm guessing 8-10 inches. Powder. It was difficult to tell due to the drifting.

Storm on Saturday: Forecast to be 1-3 inches . . . looks like it is more like 6-8 inches. Powder. The powderiest of powder. Shoveling the porch was like shoveling air.

Storm Sunday afternoon-Monday: They're forecasting 18-24 inches . . . we'll see.
I think next time we get one of the powdery ones like you got yesterday, I'm going to try out the leaf blower on it.

Keep us updated on the big one on Sunday! What's the forecast temp on Tuesday?

Getting the dreaded "wintry mix" this morning. The most good for nuthin' miserable weather in winter's bag of tricks.

Here in southern Maine we got 6 inches Tuesday, 12 inches Thursday, 6 inches yesterday and planning on 18-26 tonight and Monday. And another potential storm on Thursday. Hopefully that one misses us. Ice fishing has been good this winter - pretty much bare ice. AFter this week it will pretyy much be over with all the snow and slush on the lakes.

I already have ice starting to form on my roof. If it weren't for that and ... ya know... work.. I would love more white stuff.

Lovely weather we're having, atleast the ice damn on the front of the house is gone :rolleyes:

Good luck ya'all. Been lucky around my parts. Bare ground with nothing forecast so far. Mild temps for this area. Other than some pretty nasty wind (45 MPH gusts today) we have had it pretty easy. I will take it.