Forest King Pro 37 ton splitter clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you need one with that much capacity? If not I'd tend to find a 20 something ton for less $$...you can find em for 700 sometimes. To answer your question...that's an OK deal...not great, not bad.

Do you need one with that much capacity? If not I'd tend to find a 20 something ton for less $$...you can find em for 700 sometimes. To answer your question...that's an OK deal...not great, not bad.
Hi and thanks for the comment. No, I was actually on the lookout for around 25 tons but I somewhat lost control when I saw the big discount. I'll have an up close and personal look at it but I suspect that I'll keep hunting.

If your just splitting for yourself and not splitting monster stuff...I would pass and go for a smaller unit with a quicker cycle time...13 seconds is a long time...been there...I ran a smaller Speeco for a number of years...either a 22Ton or 25 Ton and didn't run into anything it couldn't split...served me well.

Reactions: thisoldgoat
I like it. At that price you could get the 4 year warranty.

Last edited:
Tar12, a few seconds doesn't seem like much to this novice but I imagine that when multiplied by hundreds of cycles they add up to some serious time.

VirginiaIron, I took a look at it; it appears to be a well built machine. The welds aren't terribly pretty but look substantial. I am not an expert, however, on evaluating such things so I could be all wrong!

Tar12, a few seconds doesn't seem like much to this novice but I imagine that when multiplied by hundreds of cycles they add up to some serious time.
It does indeed add up...I have ran everything from box store specials to 3 points to commercial splitters and processors...I burn and sell wood so time does matter to me..if your just taking care of yourself and you are not worried about it this unit will serve you well. Is there a slip on 4-way head available for this unit? That would be nice to have....

Tar12, I would be splitting for my own use only. My time is not that valuable but I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs either. I'd be working solo most of the time so perhaps it would not be a huge issue. They are not exactly flying off the shelf at my local store even at reduced price... maybe that tells me something as well. Thanks for the tips!

Tar12, I would be splitting for my own use only. My time is not that valuable but I don't want to be twiddling my thumbs either. I'd be working solo most of the time so perhaps it would not be a huge issue. They are not exactly flying off the shelf at my local store even at reduced price... maybe that tells me something as well. Thanks for the tips!
13 seconds is like forever to me..:) I also much prefer the wedge to be on the end of beam not the ram so you can slide a 4-way on your splitting wedge to increase production.This doubles production in easy run stuff and if you have knotty stuff you just slide it back off.

try before you buy. That looks like a backbreaker to me because the wheels are right in the operating area where you would stand so you have to stand further from the beam and bend over to reach the work area

try before you buy. That looks like a backbreaker to me because the wheels are right in the operating area where you would stand so you have to stand further from the beam and bend over to reach the work area
I have one of these and the wheels aren’t in the way. Maybe it looks that way in the photo but you stand right up to the I-beam.

While I would never pay the full price for this unit, a price of under $900 is tempting. What do you think... good value or pass?

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...7-c-10115.htm?tid=-8135662736415043352&ipos=9
I clicked on the link and it’s not listed for under $900 but for $999. I got one of these for $899 plus our 5% sales tax on a BF sale. I had a newer 22 ton splitter but I sold that in just hours and got one of these thinking they should handle the larger elm rounds I often split. If you bought someone else’s 37 ton splitter like Northern Tools you’d pay around $1700. But my 22 ton did split all of the maple and oak I ever had put on it jfyi....

WiscWoody Menards had an 11% rebate in effect when I first posted. They now have another one going. If you click the link now it should reflect a price of $889 (plus applicable tax).

I have one of these and the wheels aren’t in the way. Maybe it looks that way in the photo but you stand right up to the I-beam.
How long have you had it and would you buy it again?

Reactions: VirginiaIron
How long have you had it and would you buy it again?
I think I’d buy another one for $900 but I haven’t used mine much yet. I got it on the Menards 3 day Black Friday sale they had in November. It’s not very fast though with a 13 second cycle time. I often short cycle mine though since it often doesn’t take a full cycle to split wood or I let the wedge go part way back then I stop it to the logs length. I was just on Craig’s List here and I see someone has bought a few of these and he’s trying to het $1300 for them. Good luck to him on that huh?

I think I’d buy another one for $900 but I haven’t used mine much yet. I got it on the Menards 3 day Black Friday sale they had in November. It’s not very fast though with a 13 second cycle time. I often short cycle mine though since it often doesn’t take a full cycle to split wood or I let the wedge go part way back then I stop it to the logs length. I was just on Craig’s List here and I see someone has bought a few of these and he’s trying to het $1300 for them. Good luck to him on that huh?
Yup, at that price I think they will be slow movers.

The only way I’d touch that splitter was if I bought a 4” cylinder to go with it. Downgrade it to 22 tons with a 8 second cycle time. You’ve got a motor, chassis and pump all ready to go.

I found the 11 second cycle time on my original unit unbearable, I couldn’t even imagine waiting on a 13 second splitter. That’s “blow your brains out” level frustration, for anyone who’s actually looking to stay awake while splitting.

The only way I’d touch that splitter was if I bought a 4” cylinder to go with it. Downgrade it to 22 tons with a 8 second cycle time. You’ve got a motor, chassis and pump all ready to go.

I found the 11 second cycle time on my original unit unbearable, I couldn’t even imagine waiting on a 13 second splitter. That’s “blow your brains out” level frustration, for anyone who’s actually looking to stay awake while splitting.
With your new upgrade, how fast is your cycle time?

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks.. Eight seconds full stroke is pretty good especially if real world cycle permits 1/4-1/2 stroke to complete a split. My question was directed @ Ashfull. Ashfull suped up his splitter with a modification and I was curious what kind of cycle times he had.

Thanks.. Eight seconds full stroke is pretty good especially if real world cycle permits 1/4-1/2 stroke to complete a split. My question was directed @ Ashfull. Ashfull suped up his splitter with a modification and I was curious what kind of cycle times he had.
It was Ashful I was speaking of...

Reactions: VirginiaIron