FPX 33 firebrick replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
All,
Just figured I would post a few pictures. I noticed that one of the firebricks in the back was cracked (after 4 years of use) and appeared to be deteriorating. It sticks out a bit, I probably cracked it loadign wood into the fireplace. I ordered rutland bricks from Ace hardware (about $18 for 6 bricks). I had them shipped to the store since thats free and showed up in 2 days. I used my harbor freight wet tile say to cut the brick (it cut very easily! I really like the saw, works great. I have to make 4 cuts, half the length and half the thickness each time since the bricks were too thick to cut in one pass. )

Then It was pretty easy. I fired the stove overnight and by the morning ti was pretty cool (still a few coals) emptied the stove (carefully since the coals were hot). The bottom bricks slid out easily. These pin the vertical brick in the back. It slid out and the new one slid into place. All the bottom bricks popped back in place easily (once the ash was cleaned out of the bottom).

I did notice that there was some play in the brick since the top wasn't tightly pinned in place. (The replacement brick was the same size as the original) Maybe that play was always there and I didnt notice it. Regardless, I felt like the brick should not be able to flop back and forth, so I Made a little metal clip that slid into place to hold it in position. I also figure as the gaps get plugged up with ash it will lock everything into place.

Very easy. All the work, cutting the brick, making the clip, cleaning the stove and all took a bit under 2 hours. Glad I did it as the crack was definitely wearing away opening up.

So for those in my shoes, go for it, it was very easy!

Rick

My harbor freight saw Item # 40315:

Up the stack

the brick

the clip