1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

"Frankenstorm" on the way east coast!!!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Pellet-King, Oct 25, 2012.

1. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    You're soooo right!
    Harman Lover 007 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lock&load

lock&load Member

Loc:
    east windsor ct
    hope everybody stays safe ,this yr, i got a sipon for the gas for the genie ,truck holds 44gal and van 18 ,not going to wait in line for gas this yr ,plus 10 gal in cans ,stay safe brothers
  3. wilburg

wilburg Member

Loc:
    Western Mass
    Ummm. Have you checked to make sure your vehicles don't have anti siphon devices?
  4. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    This kind of stuff is bound to bring all the crazies out. The throngs of unprepared.
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    How much have conditions deteriorated the east cost so far? Had a steady 10-12 mph wind all day today up here.
  6. boosted3g

boosted3g Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central PA
    In im Lancaster PA, about a half hour drive east of Harrisburg and its just a steady rain so far. Little bit of a breeze but the local weatherman are saying it will deteriorate fast. By tomorrow evening they are callling for a steady 40 mph wind with gusts over 60 mph. My wife works for the state police and she is hearing rumors about only essential personel to report tomorrow and the schools are already closed till wednesday. We spent the last 2 days putting anything that wasnt bolted down in the shed or garage. The generator is ready, we have plenty of food and the Harman is already fired up. Im going to keep the house a little warmer than usual incase the power goes out i have plenty of time to get the generator on.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Here is a link to the 5:00 PM discussion on Sandy http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at201218.disc.html

Note no surface winds of hurricane strength were found, however there is a caution about them not covering the whole storm due to its size.

ETA: The storm is also sucking up a lot of dry air and has been for some time.
  8. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    To all our friends in NH,MA,CT,NY,PA,NJ and any other place being hit by Sandy:
    An Old Irish Blessing
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
  9. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    So that will weaken it?
  10. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    If it does it long enough yes it will weaken it, the storm however is very large and is also going to shortly merge with the one out of the Midwest. Currently the most watched aspect of the storm is rain and surge potential as this causes flood related issues.
  11. Melissa220

Melissa220 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ME
    The latest from map from Weather.com showing the placement of Hurricane and Tropical force winds shows that the impact to Maine is less and less. Fingers crossed so that more help can be sent to those states hardest hit.
  12. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    Interesting. The last I just read indicated higher winds than I had heard before.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

What model did you get?

My neighbor has one and I thought it was slick as chit. I have a Watchdog battery back up (Both pumps, connected together) but it doesn't keep up with heavy rain. Luckily I haven't needed it yet? (Had a bad flood about 7-8 yrs ago and didn't have one) But I have tested it on heavy flow days and it is about half of what the Main pump is.

Thanks...

God bless everyone in the path of this Monster.

2012-03-15_22-37-04_973.jpg 2012-03-18_10-06-18_108.jpg
  14. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Its a liberty pump. Specs say it can pump 1000 gal an hour at 4' lift depending on water pressure
    My lift is only about 2' so it should do the job.
    Ill be hooking it up tomorrow morning. I hope my plumbing supply is open as i need a few parts.
    It might save me a flooded finished basement. I got a lot af expensive stuff in there,a bar ,pool table,wood stove ect ect.
    DexterDay likes this.
  15. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Thanks
  16. Seasoned Oak

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Just got a robo call from the local power company telling everyone their power may be out for as long as a week.sheesh
  17. Hitch

Hitch Member

Loc:
    S.E. Pennsylvania
    The genny was supposed to be delivered to my office tomorrow. Received the news tonight that the entire office building will be closed tomorrow. Now I need to find out if I can pick up the darn thing.

As you point out, we are in the direct path. I have the Champion genny to keep my sump pump going, just don't want to use it on my pellet stove, computer, etc....
  18. imacman

imacman Guest

Good luck everyone, and stay safe!!
  19. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    The storm continues to deepen and strengthen this morning. There will be no weakening until landfall. As you said Smokey, the storm surge in NJ and NY will be the big story but widespread power outages from the mid atlantic all the way to New England will be a significant story as well.
  20. DV

DV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Here in southern MD its raining buckets this morning. The wind has not really picked up yet. blowing about 10 to 20 now. I pray for the best this afternoon and into the night. Looks like a big storm on the map.
  21. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I headed in to work this morning only to get the news the plant is closing. Shortest work day ever! Headed home to prepar for lost power. Crankin up the heat to 74ºF and dustin off the wood eater JIC we need it. Unless a tree falls on the joint, I think we're as ready as can be! I'd rather be fishin!

Stay safe everyone.
  22. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    How did you do over the weekned?
  23. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Real slow, Only caught a few. Still had fun, Anytime we get out is good.
  24. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    True!
    jtakeman likes this.
  25. aburress1223

aburress1223 Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    Temps have dropped drastically, it is now 32 degrees here in S W Virginia