Q&A Franklin fireplace smokes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I installed a Franklin fireplace in my shed recently, installing it with 8 in. pipe- the top of the pipe outside is 2 ft. above the roof ridge- when I light a fire it smokes into the room when I use the screen with the doors open, even though the pipe is warmed up & there's a good draft- even if I crack open the shed door to allow more air in it still smokes- if I remove the screen & close the fireplace doors the problem stops. Do you have any suggestions as to what could possibly be the problem?

Answer:

I assume you used metal class A chimney, not regular stove pipe.

Even though your chimney is 2 feet above the roof ridge, it still may not be high enough to create a good draft. A minimum of 14-16 feet is often required for a strong draw.

Also, that type of stove has a very large door opening which is hard to sweep clear of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.