Free CL wood, ailanthus; Tree of hell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StihlHead

So I posted about a really nice pile of seasoned live oak in Berkeley for free with pizza and beer yesterday... way too far for me to get it (700 miles south of here). But a great score for someone.

Today is the opposite: free crap wood in Portland. I think this is the worst type of wood we have around here. Its called Tree of Heaven, but I call it the Tree of Hell. Invasive weeds, super low heat, good for nothing... it is free, and it is seasoned though. Not for me, thanks.

Approximately 250 cubic feet of seasoned firewood (11ft x 6 ft x 4 ft). The type of wood is ailanthus. The wood is free, but you must take it all, and you must come with enough manpower to move it without damaging the garage next to it. Email me if interested. Thanks!

Portland, Or CL is filled with low grade wood today. Here is another one, this time its willow...

There are 23 willow firewood rounds, from 13 to 24 inches in diameter and from 9 to 12 inches thick. They are resting on steps near the street. Come and get them.

I know of willow 'cause we have that around here. What is ailanthus like? Is it worse than willow?

Yes, its worse than willow, and even worse than cottonwood. Its the lowest of the low in firewood, and its a bad invasive in a lot of the US. Willows and cottonwoods at least are natives, and good for erosion control and the like.

It smells like shyte when burned, smolders a lot and is like burning punky wood, and has low heat value. I guess you can burn it with willow and have a septic tank smelling fire. Get rid of the in-laws that way maybe? Revenge on down-wind neighbors?

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.