FREE wood - Do you know what it is???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillLion

Minister of Fire
Sep 4, 2013
Greater Hartford, CT
I got a small score today due to the fact that I'm driving a minivan:

qyrebemu.jpg

I can go back with a chainsaw and van and get plenty more. I'm excited for the white birch mostly because I've never burned any before, but I'm also eager to know what the other wood is? Red oak?

na8uve6u.jpg
5umynaje.jpg
emy5ure6.jpg

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!

Not Red Oak. The rings are too far apart, bark is wrong, everything about it is not red oak.
Not sure what it is. What does it smell like? Pungent, sweet?

Second wood Norway or Silver maple? I agree the rings are enormous.

With the white birch, cut and split it as soon as possible, otherwise run the saw down through the bark lengthwise. If split it dries fairly quickly, in pinch I can burn it in less than a year. It not super high btu wood definitely not an all nighter, About 1/2 my firewood is birch as I am north of the "Oak" line. Save the bark that comes off, it makes great fire starter.

Reactions: BillLion
I only know mostly of what I burn.
I have seen that before, but just can't place it. Something in me wants to say poplar, but honestly, I just don't know.
I do seem to think I had a couple poles of it once. If it is the same, and I remember correctly, it is very wet, but dries fast and becomes very light.
Burns fast if I remember correctly.
But again, I just don't know. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
Free wood is free fuel, take it, split it, stack it, burn it(when it is ready).

Second wood Norway or Silver maple? I agree the rings are enormous.

With the white birch, cut and split it as soon as possible, otherwise run the saw down through the bark lengthwise. If split it dries fairly quickly, in pinch I can burn it in less than a year. It not super high btu wood definitely not an all nighter, About 1/2 my firewood is birch as I am north of the "Oak" line. Save the bark that comes off, it makes great fire starter.
You are spot on with the birch, unfortunately it is the best wood we can get around here. It will certainly pull off an overnight burn, i do that with spruce. You guys are just spoiled with your stinking Oak and Hickory garbage, lol.

Is the wood fairly light? I think it's poplar. Poplar has the tendency to get the sawtooth edges like that when split instead of a nice clean split.

I don't know what the one is but that's not white birch either, it's grey birch. Similar in appearance but grey birch isn't as good of a firewood so don't judge white birch based upon how the stuff you've got burns.

Sure looks to me like white birch

This is white birch:

white_birch_tree-11886.jpg

Grey birch:

betula_populifolia_03a.jpg

Subtle difference but a lot of people confuse grey birch for white birch. Heck, a lot of people don't even know there's such a thing as grey birch.

Reactions: Elusive
Interesting. So, the current consensus is that the white birch may actually be gray birch?

And the 2nd wood may be poplar or elm? I've never dealt with poplar so I wouldn't know.

However I've split a bunch of elm and. Can tell you this was way easier than what I split. As evidenced by Savage's comments about it not looking like split elm.

Would it be a different variety of elm? Definitely not the same as the American elm I had before.

If it's poplar or elm (and gray instead of white) I might just leave re rest alone.

Paper(white) Birch and Grey Elm. Not grey birch... note the peeling bark in the photos, grey birch would not have this much peeling.

Sure doesn't look like any poplar to me. It looks like some sort of evergreen to me.
But I agree with hog. Even crappy wood produces SOME heat.

Another vote for not Aspen/Poplar. Bark reminded me of Elm, but the split wood less so - I remember American Elm as being very stringy when split, but it has been many a moon since I last split any. No experience with Grey Elm.

Paper(white) Birch and Grey Elm. Not grey birch... note the peeling bark in the photos, grey birch would not have this much peeling.

That's good news to me on the birch!

Another vote for not Aspen/Poplar. Bark reminded me of Elm, but the split wood less so - I remember American Elm as being very stringy when split, but it has been many a moon since I last split any. No experience with Grey Elm.

I have no experience with grey elm either. If that's what this is, it splits like a dream compared to American Elm. Lower on the BTUs though according to the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.