1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Freeze proof tv's?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by yooperdave, Jan 2, 2013.

1. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Does anyone know if there is any danger to the new style tv's (lcd, led, etc) being in a sub-freezing temps for extended periods?? I don't have one at the cottage, but am thinking about it. The problem is, I don't heat the cottage during the winter; only when I show up for the day or afternoon. The temps get well below freezing and I would hate to damage the new tv.
    I went there today for the afternoon and walked into a temp of 20f inside. It took about two hours for the nc-13 to warm up to 70, but then it was time to leave.
    I have a tube type tv with a built in dvd now, and I can only imagine that such drastic temp swings can't be all that good for it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    My travel trailer comes equipped with a 27" jensen LCD TV and people store their trailers in all sorts of cold.
  3. Morgan

Morgan Member

Loc:
    PEI, Canada
    How cold do you think trailers and containers get that are shipping these TV's to us get? I personally don't think cold overally affects them. Condensation might, but as long as you give the device time to acclimatize to a warmer environment I think you will be fine.
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    The published specs for the model should cover temperature range. I doubt that the temps you mentioned would be a problem. I would think that a 2-hour warm up period would be fine. What I would avoid, though, is bringing it directly into a warm house because of condensation issues like Morgan said.