Fresh carrots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This week we started harvesting carrots from the greenhouse. Yummy!

Outside it's still cold and damp. Our carrots in the outdoor beds are only a couple inches tall. But inside things are growing mighty! We have had several harvests of lettuce, spinach, radishes and peas. Cukes are already a couple inches long, and we have eggplant, tomato and peppers all with baby fruit on them. Love having a greenhouse and now wonder why I waited so long.

Attachments

• carrots_web.jpg
    carrots_web.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 651
  • inside_greenhouse_web.jpg
    inside_greenhouse_web.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_0188web.jpg
    IMG_0188web.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0191web.jpg
    IMG_0191web.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 692
Yummy!

Shari

BeGreen said:
This week we started harvesting carrots from the greenhouse. Yummy!

Outside it's still cold and damp. Our carrots in the outdoor beds are only a couple inches tall. But inside things are growing mighty! We have had several harvests of lettuce, spinach, radishes and peas. Cukes are already a couple inches long, and we have eggplant, tomato and peppers all with baby fruit on them. Love having a greenhouse and now wonder why I waited so long.

Wow great looking place you have there! My wife would be in heaven if she had a set up like that! Will show her the pics when I see her in the AM..

Ray

Pretty dang cool, BG. I keep imagining building an outside raised bed vegetable garden, but now yer makin' me think. I hate that. %-P Rick

That looks great, I recognize those concrete blocks that are set in there. Do you know Weinbrenner? He has those in the back of his p/u everytime I run in to him. They look way better in your application.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, this is our first season with them. The nice thing is that with beds like this you can glue together a quick pvc tent frame and put some clear poly or reemay over it to extend the season. Looks like I am going to have to do that for a couple beds due to the cool spring we are having. I have heard Weinbrenner's name before, does he own/work at Sawdust Supply? I got the blocks made by Paul Cooper who I think is his partner.

fossil said:
Pretty dang cool, BG. I keep imagining building an outside raised bed vegetable garden, but now yer makin' me think. I hate that. %-P Rick

Sorry about that. :) The nice thing with this system is that it goes together very quickly. They blocks are inert and will never rot.

BeGreen said:
Thanks Thomas, this is our first season with them. The nice thing is that with beds like this you can glue together a quick pvc tent frame and put some clear poly or reemay over it to extend the season. Looks like I am going to have to do that for a couple beds due to the cool spring we are having . I have heard Weinbrenner's name before, does he own/work at Sawdust Supply? I got the blocks made by Paul Cooper who I think is his partner.

Yes he is on retainer there. His specialty is hydraulics for little things like the bridge at pearl harbor and Manson const.

If they are L blocks then that is them. Nice to see them in action.

Okay, someone spill the beans - what in the world is an L block?

Shari

These are 16" x 16" cast concrete blocks cast into an "L" shape. That way, as you load in soil, the weight of the dirt helps stabilize the block.

Nice looking carrots BG. Raised beds under a roof with some glass are a beautiful thing.

Skier76 said:
Awesome looking setup! The property looks outstanding.

Thanks, it's a work in (continual) progress. Currently weeds have the upper hand in several other areas, so it's nice to have an area where we are temporarily in control. (Though the slugs are moving into the neighborhood as quickly as their slimy bodies will let them.)

Amazing! Very nice looking set up and property.

BLIMP said:
pretty! what u burn thru that chimli?

Vogelzang box stove. :lol:

Very - very nice BG. Now I KNOW I ain't gonna show a pic of my weed infested garden. :red:

LOL, nope, not a Scandia either. Our old Jotul 602 is connected for the cold season. In winter we only grow cold tolerant crops, so it's really just for rare, long cold spells. Last winter it didn't drop below freezing in the greenhouse. Even if it's 25 outside, if it's sunny, the greenhouse will be 50 or higher inside. It's insulated and has built in mass + water storage for overnight heat retention.

Jags, no worry. We have two other weed infested gardens. That is why we are shifting to the new system. The hope is to spend less than 50% of our time weeding.

Here's a couple more shots of the raised beds and the herb garden. The herb garden is with 9" high blocks. He made the ends custom for us.

Attachments

• IMG_0263web.jpg
    IMG_0263web.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0264web.jpg
    IMG_0264web.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 292
wow BG, you're set up is awesome! What are the dimensions of your garden area? what do you have on the ground between the raised beds?

This is garden #3. It's about 50ft wide and about 40ft long for the beds, then there is a bank of flowers and a small corn and artichoke patch. The black stuff is commercial landscape fabric. It is used in nurseries as a tough weed barrier. Garden #1 (not shown) is our original patch and it's about 50' x 50'. We grow pole beans, asparagus, blueberries, currants, raspberries and have 3 extra beds up there for sprawling squash & pumpkin plants, cool crops like broccoli, kale, brussel spouts, etc. This year it's getting a rest for some of the beds. The lower garden #2 has more raspberries, cherry and apple trees, strawberries, peas and a few more beds that get good sun, but the soil is not as good. We are gradually converting this to all orchard.

We'd love to have a small-scale version of that (or at least some of that)...one of the significant considerations for us is the mule deer population around here. They regularly browse around our property and eat whatever looks good to them. A part of our backyard is fenced to 4' high, and they (or at least a few of them) pretty much laugh at that as they leap over. Seems like I'd need an 8' fence around any sort of garden I cared about harvesting from. Rick

I got fed up fighting the deer. As of this year there's an 8 ft. deer fence surrounding about 50% of our property. The upper garden has it's own deer fence. There's no way I would be growing out in the open here without a fence.

Nice work, WOW!! BG that is a really great looking setup you have. I love it!!

I've tried growing in a small greenhouse and had nothing but problems.
Summer heat, insects and too small containers for what I was trying.

I'm lucky in that the soil here is good, so ground growing isn't frustrating.

The deer stay away until Fall for the most part finding food away from houses.
I've lost Arborvitaes and Winter squash to them in October , though.

Status
Not open for further replies.