Fresh paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Dec 9, 2010
IL
I sanded some rust off of the top of my stove and put a couple of coats of paint on. Used Rustoleum high heat paint. Directios say will dry 24-48 hours. My question is when I fire it up should I expect fumes from the new paint? Anyone ever went through this and have any tips?

Thx.

Matt

Expect some fumes until the paint bakes in. Take the stovetop up to 500F. Open a window and temporarily put a fan blowing out in the window.

I sanded some rust off of the top of my stove and put a couple of coats of paint on. Used Rustoleum high heat paint. Directios say will dry 24-48 hours. My question is when I fire it up should I expect fumes from the new paint? Anyone ever went through this and have any tips?

Thx.

Matt
I am totally new to the stove stuff but I went and bought some paint made specifically for wood burning stoves. I about choked on the price. However to answer your question when I painted mine I lit a fire in the stove and it almost ran us out of the house the fumes were so bad. Had to open windows and turn on fans. I then read the label on the paint and it said to move the stove out doors, paint and let dry, then burn a good hot fire in it due to fumes. I don't know about the paint you are using. I would say if you can take it outside and lite a fire in it do it if you can to keep from smelling up your house incase it does fume up.

I sure don't wanna move the thing. It's only the top so I may try it with windows and fans. Thx

Not sure that paint won't burn. Rust oleum High heat paint is not stove paint. I'm sure you will soon find out if it's ok or not

I was wondering the same thing and went to Rustoleum's website. It says it's ok for wood stoves. Rated at 1200F.

Yeah that stuff is just fine on a stove. Or BBQ either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.