Frustrations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacinJosh

Feeling the Heat
Mar 4, 2015
Crestwood, KY
Well, I hope owning and operating a wood stove is a lot more enjoyable than trying to get one installed. This has been a very frustrating experience so far and I'm just getting started.

I stopped by Eastwood Stove and Outdoor Shoppe in Louisville, KY about a month ago and talked to the manager there for awhile. I wanted to set up an appointment to have my existing flue and chimney inspected and determine whether or not it needs replacing. I imagine it does as it is almost 40 years old and seen better days. The house used to have an old Buck stove but it has since been removed and the ceiling above it dry walled and patched over. So there is no access to the bottom of the flue. The flue itself and stack still exist. So if you take the cap off, you could see down the flue.

Well, I set up an appointment to have them come and inspect it and tell me what it would take to replace if needed. After cancelling on me 2 times and rescheduling they failed to show up the first time or even call. After 1.5 hours I called them and we rescheduled. Yesterday they were supposed to come out finally. I had all but given up but after an hour two men showed up at my door. It was like talking to two brick walls. Jeez. They informed me that the boxed in drywall in the second floor bedroom that the flue passes through would also have to be torn out. I asked why they couldn't just replace the flue from the roof and lower it down. They said they have to build it four feet at a time. I have no idea if that is correct so I'm trying to get a second opinion. They left and informed me they would send me a quote soon. Their so disorganized I don't think I want to do business with them anyway. The plus side for them was that they are willing to install a stove they do not carry. I'm pretty set on a BK King or Princess model and as I've mentioned in the past, we don't have a single dealer here in KY. So the fact they will install a stove they don't carry was a plus they had going for them.

So then I remembered the guy I had do my sweep and inspection when I bought the house. His name is Doug and he owns All American Chimney services. Nothing but GREAT, 5 star Google and Angie's List reviews. So I requested an estimate from them and their office just called me. They are willing to do an inspection and replace the flue and stack if needed, but they won't install a stove they don't carry. They only carry Regency and a few others. Well that's just great.....

So here I am, feeling like a damn general contractor trying to sub contract out various pieces of an install job. Very frustrating and annoying. I never thought it would be this difficult. All I want is a Blaze King stove installed with a new flue and chimney and you'd think I was asking to move a mountain.

I'm wondering if it's even possible to get the setup I want......sigh.

Have someone do the chimney work (hard part) and install the stove yourself. Take the liner, attach it to the flue collar on the stove with a big hose clamp looking thing and tighten 2 nuts inside the stove. Hooking up the stove to the liner is easier than changing a tire. Just have them leave the liner long, you'll have to cut it to length when ready to attach to the stove. I did mine (all of it), pretty simple.

Go on csia's website and look for chimney sweeps in your area. They are much more likely to install your stove and i find that in general they are more professional in the way they install. And yes i know there are good stove shops and bad sweeps but in general i think you will have more luck with a sweep

Hang in there. Dealing with "professionals" have left me feeling the same way you are more than once.

The only thing you can do, other than do the work yourself, is keep trying. You will find the right person eventually.

I agree that it's no problem to hook the stove to an existing flue if you don't have any issues that are preventing you from doing it yourself.

I think the guys were being cautious describing the chimney installation. They want to quote worst case, considering you had the existing chimney boxed in. Yes the double wall is stackable 3 and 4' sections. I'm not sure if there is other chimney systems that will allow you to drop it in without opening up the walls. All this said if your handy with a little carpentry it is something you can do yourself.

The problem with dropping a chimney into an existing chase is that you need the proper firestops and supports inside that chase. It can be done sometimes without opening up the chase but more often than not you need to access something in there and if it is not large enough to fit in the only way to do that is by opening it up.

You can put in a telescoping connector pipe below the support box, then it's easy to connect to the stove. You need to get it from the maker of the support box to be sure that it's going to fit together correctly.

You can put in a telescoping connector pipe below the support box, then it's easy to connect to the stove. You need to get it from the maker of the support box to be sure that it's going to fit together correctly.
Yes but that does not address the 40 year old chimney that probably needs replaced.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm 34 and in good health so no issues there. I'm fairly handy but I know my limitations and installing a flue and chimney to spec is above them. I have no desire to do something wrong and burn my house down. Installing the stove and hearth pad, however, sounds fairly easy and I may tackle that myself.

Here's the ceiling above where the old stove was. The bottom of the flue is somewhere on the other side of that. I'm guessing in the white part.

a31691e87daae703275371687d3cd11f.jpg

Here is the room above that ceiling where the flue has been framed and boxed in.

cacc30331cb8dc7076ce9658fe27d412.jpg

And here is the chimney.

67b8f423740d1197c65784ab9e977b6f.jpg

There's about 2-3 feet of pipe above that bedroom and right under the roof line that is in the attic.

Yes but that does not address the 40 year old chimney that probably needs replaced.
Yeah, I was thinking he could do that after the sweep addresses the other issues but I guess at that point he might as well let them do the whole job. Did they even install stainless support boxes and chimneys 40 yrs. ago?
here is the chimney.
Yikes, that looks pretty short! If that's on the back side of the house and wouldn't be too visible from the street, might want to have them add a section. If over 5' above the roof, you'll need bracing on the chimney. Is that 6" ID chimney?

We install double wall telescoping pipe on all brands of chimney. If the proper adaptor is on the chimney, then it's not a problem.

Oops, forgot there was another story; I guess that's a basement install?

"After cancelling on me 2 times and rescheduling they failed to show up the first time or even call. After 1.5 hours I called them and we rescheduled."

At this point, why did you bother messing with these goof-offs any more? Get a new wood stove installer company, Bitte Schon!

Im in the same situation dealing with a stove shop that does not seem to care about customer service at all. AES here in central PA is extremely frustrating to deal with. Every time I call for something I get the same answer. "I'll leave a message for the person that handles that" and never get a return call.

Oops, forgot there was another story; I guess that's a basement install?

No. Down in my den that sits on a concrete slab with a walk out sliding glass door to my wood pile out back. Here are a few more pics for a better feel of the layout.

The chair, computer desk, and plant rack will all go away. Stove will sit there in the corner.

d5dbe65bf4018b12b7377e879c1fb7b2.jpg

bdf521088db3c051208f4d21419407e8.jpg

cab58c063d6938759200fc641ba6a772.jpg

3677aa3a3c15172c05c40d0e2a056bb4.jpg

772bad7efd9deeb2d65eb405962d391b.jpg

Just to clarify my post, I meant hook the stove up after the chimney was installed or deemed safe. By limitations I was referring more to insurance and or code restrictions.

Not to sound redundant but hanging a couple pieces of drywall is not a terribly tough DIY job either, if it comes to that. Nothing I would want to do for a living but with two kids, three dogs and wood floors I've replaced a sheet or two.

I paid for a professional install and I am really sorry. I have to redo everything but the liner, which is more work than installing it in the first place in my case.... so I got double work AND a huge bill.

Never again!

Had I done what you did and hit up hearth.com for advice before I started... well, I'd feel like less of a dummy right now for one thing!

Im in the same situation dealing with a stove shop that does not seem to care about customer service at all. AES here in central PA is extremely frustrating to deal with. Every time I call for something I get the same answer. "I'll leave a message for the person that handles that" and never get a return call.
Call a local sweep they will take care of it lol.

You might be surprised though, that existing chimney stack may well still be in good shape and meet code, once it is extended to the correct height.
After 40 years i seriously doubt it. The projected life of prefab chimneys is about 30 years.

I paid for a professional install and I am really sorry. I have to redo everything but the liner, which is more work than installing it in the first place in my case.... so I got double work AND a huge bill.

Never again!

Had I done what you did and hit up hearth.com for advice before I started... well, I'd feel like less of a dummy right now for one thing!

I'm trying man....I'm trying. ;)

I'm pretty darn confident AAC Service (Doug) will do a darn good job with the flue and chimney. Hopefully it's not too pricey. And if it didn't contain the risk of burning my house down, I would tackle it myself. I'm just not confident in making sure I get every single thing within code. I'm an engineer so I over analyze things to death. I also research the crap out of things and try to get as much info as humanly possible. Sometimes to a fault. [emoji53]

After 40 years i seriously doubt it. The projected life of prefab chimneys is about 30 years.

This is my thought. I told the lady on the phone I'm 99.99% sure this thing needs replaced. You can see quite a bit of rust around the cap and flashing when on the roof.

We install double wall telescoping pipe on all brands of chimney. If the proper adaptor is on the chimney, then it's not a problem.

Still plan on buying the actual stove from the Bloomington shop once I get the flue and chimney repaired. I'll hit you up or post here when it's ready.

Any delivery services you know of that will ship it to me in Louisville? Or do I have to come get it.

Still plan on buying the actual stove from the Bloomington shop once I get the flue and chimney repaired. I'll hit you up or post here when it's ready.

Any delivery services you know of that will ship it to me in Louisville? Or do I have to come get it.
I'm sure we can work something out.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.