Frustrations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I hope owning and operating a wood stove is a lot more enjoyable than trying to get one installed. This has been a very frustrating experience so far and I'm just getting started.

I stopped by Eastwood Stove and Outdoor Shoppe in Louisville, KY about a month ago and talked to the manager there for awhile. I wanted to set up an appointment to have my existing flue and chimney inspected and determine whether or not it needs replacing. I imagine it does as it is almost 40 years old and seen better days. The house used to have an old Buck stove but it has since been removed and the ceiling above it dry walled and patched over. So there is no access to the bottom of the flue. The flue itself and stack still exist. So if you take the cap off, you could see down the flue.

Well, I set up an appointment to have them come and inspect it and tell me what it would take to replace if needed. After cancelling on me 2 times and rescheduling they failed to show up the first time or even call. After 1.5 hours I called them and we rescheduled. Yesterday they were supposed to come out finally. I had all but given up but after an hour two men showed up at my door. It was like talking to two brick walls. Jeez. They informed me that the boxed in drywall in the second floor bedroom that the flue passes through would also have to be torn out. I asked why they couldn't just replace the flue from the roof and lower it down. They said they have to build it four feet at a time. I have no idea if that is correct so I'm trying to get a second opinion. They left and informed me they would send me a quote soon. Their so disorganized I don't think I want to do business with them anyway. The plus side for them was that they are willing to install a stove they do not carry. I'm pretty set on a BK King or Princess model and as I've mentioned in the past, we don't have a single dealer here in KY. So the fact they will install a stove they don't carry was a plus they had going for them.

So then I remembered the guy I had do my sweep and inspection when I bought the house. His name is Doug and he owns All American Chimney services. Nothing but GREAT, 5 star Google and Angie's List reviews. So I requested an estimate from them and their office just called me. They are willing to do an inspection and replace the flue and stack if needed, but they won't install a stove they don't carry. They only carry Regency and a few others. Well that's just great.....

So here I am, feeling like a damn general contractor trying to sub contract out various pieces of an install job. Very frustrating and annoying. I never thought it would be this difficult. All I want is a Blaze King stove installed with a new flue and chimney and you'd think I was asking to move a mountain.

I'm wondering if it's even possible to get the setup I want......sigh.
I'm happy to speak with Doug. I can be persuasive.

BKVP

Reactions: FionaD and Cynnergy
Just noticed this was a second page, and saw your pictures, so most of the below stuff doesn't really apply in your case. I do believe, though, that they are right in saying they have to open that chase. Good luck.

Our chimney was only about 32 years old. I thought I could just buy a new stove and have the old one yanked out and that would be the end of it. I didn't listen to the first guy that told me it had to be redone, or the second, but I spent about five years collecting information, talking to chimney people, etc. but finally got the full picture online using the information about codes. Here is what I found: 1. There is NO grandfathering of chimneys in the code. Whenever you update any part of a heating system, you are required to bring the entire system to code compliance. 2. Insurance companies tend to be more fussy than building inspectors. 3. If you want chimney work done, serious work that is, book it in spring for the next burning season. Whether you have the company selling you the stove doing it or a contractor, they are always booked months in advance. 5. If you have a chimney that is on the outside of the house, like ours, your are in for extra fun and excitement. Most older chimneys like that are built against the wall of the house, a very big no-no, and need to be upgraded to "zero clearance, " which is an especially big deal if your current clay flue liner isn't at least 8" across on the shortest axis for a 6" flue stove. Ours was 7x11 (approx inside, called in the industry I think, 10x13 which is outside dimension.) and I faced the choice of either an oval insulated liner or knocking out the old flue liner. The chimney guys doing my work recommended the latter due to better performance from a round ss liner than an oval one. Also, if your chimney is too big, you need to reduce it even if it is up to code. And of course, it can't be too small. Much of this was all new to me. Anyway, I started out thinking I was going to drop about $2500 for a Vermont Castings cat stove and ended up five years later out $9500 (includes chimney work, taxes, permit fees, delivery, everything) and an absolutely amazing Blaze Kind Sirocco 30.1. If I knew this kind of stove existed, I wouldn't have replaced our furnace six years ago! Too bad. I get easily 12-15 hour burns in very cold weather and have had a 24 hour burn when the temperature was in the 40's by day and 30's by night. I'm using, for a 24 hour burn, about 2/3 of the wood (no furnace) I used to use in the old franklin stove for a 20 hour burn with the furnace taking over for the coldest 4 hours of the night. And the biggest headache of all was lighting the thing every morning. I have to light the BK about every two weeks, and it really could be once a month if I wanted to fool with hot ash sifting a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I'm just not confident in making sure I get every single thing within code. I'm an engineer so I over analyze things to death. I also research the crap out of things and try to get as much info as humanly possible.
Start reading the installation instructions for Class A chimney; Even if you don't end up doing it yourself, you'll have a much better idea of what is supposed to be done.

Start reading the installation instructions for Class A chimney; Even if you don't end up doing it yourself, you'll have a much better idea of what is supposed to be done.

Is that available in the manual off the website for the stove? I downloaded it awhile ago. I'll take a look.

My dad is trying to convince me that we can just do it ourselves. He's more handy than me so perhaps. I'll wait to hear what Doug quotes me on the 19th. If anything, I'll get an idea of what it needs and will take to complete, etc.

I'm happy to speak with Doug. I can be persuasive.

BKVP

Doug owns All American Chimney Service out of Louisville, KY. Maybe you can call him and persuade him to pick up your line. [emoji57] Or at least persuade SOMEONE in this state!! [emoji30]

Is that available in the manual off the website for the stove? I downloaded it awhile ago. I'll take a look.

My dad is trying to convince me that we can just do it ourselves. He's more handy than me so perhaps. I'll wait to hear what Doug quotes me on the 19th. If anything, I'll get an idea of what it needs and will take to complete, etc.

Doug owns All American Chimney Service out of Louisville, KY. Maybe you can call him and persuade him to pick up your line. [emoji57] Or at least persuade SOMEONE in this state!! [emoji30]
Chris has most likely already spoken with Doug. He's a go getter!

Is that available in the manual off the website for the stove?
The stove manual has good info too, but makers of Class A chimney will have detailed installation instructions on their websites that cover clearances, how to install the support box, insulation shield etc.

The stove manual has good info too, but makers of Class A chimney will have detailed installation instructions on their websites that cover clearances, how to install the support box, insulation shield etc.

Ok, I'll google search it. Thanks!

EDIT. Do you have a link? Their website isn't obvious from a Google search. Want to make sure I'm reading the right material. Thanks.

EDIT 2. Nevermind. Looks like classachimney.com. Doh!

I guess the thing that concerns me the most where I have the biggest uncertainty is the chase in my son's bedroom. I'm okay knocking it out if need be, I mean whatever. But what are the proper support and insulation techniques to make sure that vent has enough clearance from any combustibles?

seems like most of the older stoves had 8 inch chimneys?.....asuming your new stove calls for a 6 inch i'm wondering if you could just drop a 6 inch liner down the exhisting as it would have had correct clearances for its size ?............just a thought......rn

BK King is a 8" diameter. I have a feeling there are some wall straps inside that chase. I'll just cut some drywall out if I need to access those to remove the old pipe.

What do y'all think about DuraVent? Good? Bad? Been looking at their triple wall and double wall products. Thinking about ordering what I need from there. The more I read into this stuff and research and talk to you guys the more I'm just thinking of doing it myself. As long as I follow the class A chimney clearances and codes I don't see an issue. It'll be a good learning process for me anyway. I'll take my time and do it right. I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzies from the pros around here (although I've still yet to talk to Doug).

As for the stove itself, I like the parlor look. I guess I don't need a thermal hearth pad either according to the manual. Just a combustible protective flooring.

Hey Webby, can I order the stove new and unboxed from Bloomington? I have a utility trailer and I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to load it on there and haul it back down to KY. I want to get the blower too though and I'm not sure if that's something I can easily add myself. Manual also says the ash drawer is extra on the parlor model.

I'll wait to hear what Doug quotes me on the 19th. If anything, I'll get an idea of what it needs and will take to complete, etc.
I would definitely do that. Even though you might be able to do it yourself, there may be a lot of ins and outs with this particular install that would make it worth letting a pro handle it.
What do y'all think about DuraVent?
From what they're saying here, I would go with the premium, welded-seam stuff, though you may pay a little more for it. They like Excel and Ventis: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...a-insulated-chimney-pipe.152860/#post-2052305
This place has a lot of good info, and probably links to chimney makers' installations instructions. I've gotten flex and rigid liner etc. from them, but have never installed any Class A : http://www.hartshearth.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPages.asp?idpage=15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.