full pellets in ash pan (harman advance)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrucerd

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2007
Central MA
Ok, so I decided to clean out my stove for the first time (new house)... and when I opened the ash pan, there was a good layer of unburned pellets at the top.

The ash tray was nearly full... I'm assuming the previous owner rarely cleaned it. Is this normal? I'm assuming there shouldn't be unburned pellets there at all, but figured it best to check here first.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Is it still fairly warm there during the day and cool at night so the stove will be turning itself on an off more frequently????? How quick does the stove ignite when starting up? Startup is usually when the unburnt pellets appear, and if smokey at startup it may need cleaning. or you have excessive clinkers in the burnpot insulating the burnpot from the pellets.

I have yet to use the stove. I moved in last month, and decided to give the stove it's first cleaning tonight... that's when I noticed the ash pan.

Give us a location.
The stove should have been cleaned at the end of the heating season (spring) You might have problems if it wasn't maintained or cleaned properly.
Best to find out now before it gets cold..
Do you have the scraper for the burn pot?
Do you have the manual?
Here's a little help for you cleaning.
http://www.harmanstoves.com/maintenance/advancecleaninginstructions.pdf

Read it and perform the full cleaning, then fire up the stove in auto and watch to see what happens.
Smokey startup, fault codes, squeeks, lazy flame, other things....
let us know..
Welcome to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.