funky pellet vent problem- need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDPVT

Sep 26, 2008
Vermont
I plan to replace an antique wood cookstove in my kitchen with a new Quad Mt. Vernon. The cookstove went unused for many years as it was deemed unsafe (single wall stove pipe, backdraft, poor clearences). As scary as this installation was, this stove apparently heated the house for decades. The pellet stove needs to be installed in the same location and tie into an existing chimney. There is no other option.
Let me explain what this looks like. First, the vent would have a 5' vertical rise off the stove and exit through wall thimble over windows onto a covered porch. There is a 6' horizontial run to get to the chimney. This run must jog over 10" and up 8" to meet the chimney thimble. There is a decent tile lined block chimney that rises about 12' over the porch roof.
Am I asking for trouble with this setup? The pellet stove sales guy said he has seen worse that have worked fine. Any advice from the more experience would be greatly appreciated.

Your looking at ~13 feet of vent before it gets to the chimney with elbows, and no chimney liner?? i think it not a good idea. Can't you simply vent it straight out the wall and terminate it there?

Unfortunatly I cannot vent straight out. The porch roof extends out about 8' and is enclosed on 3 sides. There is a chimney on the porch that was used for the old cook stove. Lousy setup but it's all I got. I am sure I can make it safe to use. I just dont know if the pellet stove can function properly with this much vent. Would 4" vent help? Another idea is to forget the chimney and vent out the wall and straight up through the porch roof. It would be alot of work. How high would I need to go up the second story wall and how would I terminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.