Funniest Things You've Heard Hearth Related

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Ash wood wet or ash wood dry, a King will warm his slippers by.â€

The buddy who reminded me of this old adage in October when referring to his freshly split wood that will be ready to burn this year "since it's ash and all", just had a chimney fire last week. :-/ Granted a small one, but still, ugh.

pen

I was once having a conversation with an MSHA inspector about creosote buildup. His response "Just light a bunch of newspaper in there and it will burn everything out"

Remkel said:
I was once having a conversation with an MSHA inspector about creosote buildup. His response "Just light a bunch of newspaper in there and it will burn everything out"

Yeah as an old wood burner I know and have practiced most of the scary stuff I see here every year. And can't believe that I used to do that stuff. Feel better in my declining wood burning years that I changed my ways and that roast beef, rather than my stove, will probably kill me.

But in defense of the the old ways, that was the best information we had available. I have to believe that hearth.com has saved a couple of people and a house or two.

Oh good, this is a timely thread for the Craigslist listing I saw today.... anyone ever heard of this?! Is he selling MULCH?! LOL
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/2158281116.html
tired of paying too much for firewood try wood chips - $40 (newport news)
Wood chips are perfect if you have a woodstove. 40 per pickup load. 60 for delivery. Will last you two plus weeks.

BrotherBart said:
The funniest ones you guys never see. Mostly coming to me in emails and PMs. The word poophead is usually in there somewhere over a pulled post or closed thread.

The best one was from a banned drunk wanting to meet me somewhere to kick my ass. I replied that five hundred miles was a long way to ride a bus just to end up getting your ass kicked in a bus station parking lot. And then have to ride all the way back.
:

Ha! You should see the string of nonsense I was sent by JPapiPE 2-3 yrs ago. It may still be in my IM inbox.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ha! You should see the string of nonsense I was sent by JPapiPE 2-3 yrs ago. It may still be in my IM inbox.

That's the guy. Never bought the bus ticket I guess.

Thought it might of been Joe. Sounds like we all got an earful. He was exceptionally p.o'ed when I called his Charlie Chan and then British aliases.

tickbitty said:
Oh good, this is a timely thread for the Craigslist listing I saw today.... anyone ever heard of this?! Is he selling MULCH?! LOL
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/2158281116.html
tired of paying too much for firewood try wood chips - $40 (newport news)
Wood chips are perfect if you have a woodstove. 40 per pickup load. 60 for delivery. Will last you two plus weeks.
Tickbitty, you win. Hands down the best, stupidest, most retarded cl ad ever. I can't stop reading, because everytime I read it my mind is blown and I can't believe what I just read, so I read it again. Please help me I can't stop reading it.

LOL, Krex you just made me truly LOL!
I'm glad your reaction to that ad was the same as mine!

tickbitty said:
LOL, Krex you just made me truly LOL!
I'm glad your reaction to that ad was the same as mine!
I feel like such an idiot, here I am I just got done stuffing my stove full of locust, what a waste! I could have just dumped a bucket of wood chips in there.

Instead of hubby saying 'secondary burn' he says 'second degree burns''. I think that's way I run the stove - not him. :)

offroadaudio said:
That's unpossible!

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" -- The Simpsons
:cheese:

I want to hear the one I heard mentioned in another thread. Something about a guy finding a very angry mallard inside his stove. :)

Adios Pantalones said:

I had one of those as well (actually a few of them talking about BroB being a meany :lol: ), along with one from the Joe that BG speaketh of. Crazies for sure.

(Curious) George said:
offroadaudio said:
That's unpossible!

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" -- The Simpsons
:cheese:

I want to hear the one I heard mentioned in another thread. Something about a guy finding a very angry mallard inside his stove. :)

English? Who needs that, I'm never going to England.

If you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things!

I maintain that those tourists were decapitated BEFORE they entered the Crusty Land Fun House of Knives.

"You see, I'm here to teach my son about treating women like objects."
"Oh, hey that's a good idea."

This could go on forever.

Dealer tells me "They don't even make cat stoves anymore"

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
KB007 said:
Best one I heard was from an old timer a few years back "yeah it's good to have a chimney fire now and then to clear out the creosote"...

My neighbor told me that everyone would gather around chimney fires like a fireworks display on the fourth.

maybe the neighbor thought you would be having a chimney fire??? strange. about the only gathering around chimney fires up here are people wearing turnout gear...

tsquini said:
Overhearing a conversation my friend asks: "When did you learn to jodle"
Reply: "No I said Jotul. It's a stove"
Friend: "How do you jodle with a stove"
Reply: "You have to get it up to temperature"

At this point I realized this conversation could of lasted hours.

On a similar note, two of my long term married friends are high school sweet hearts and way back when, when they were dating, Pam's father used to run a Jotul (still does I think) Gary came by to pick her up for a date and asked where her three dogs were. She replied, "they're in the living room Jotuling." He cocked his head, straining to hear. "I don't hear anything" he said. She responded "Oh no, lol, that's what we call it when the dogs spread out by the wood stove"

Btw, I think this is the stove model he still has.

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 271
KB007 said:
Best one I heard was from an old timer a few years back "yeah it's good to have a chimney fire now and then to clear out the creosote"...

My Father has done that.. but don't worry... Only on damp days or when there is snow on the roof. :)

There's...

"Yup, semi-seasoned. Been down on the ground six months now." Well, I'm sure the bark is getting there.

And...

"I can get a full cord in my pickup. Guaranteed." Good. Drop it and stack it and I'll pay you for what's there.

And..

"This red oak'll burn fine once you get the frost out of it." OK. Go burn it in your own fine stove.

But really, the best one I ever heard was from a firewood dealer regarding ash.

"White ash got 0% creosote, sitting on the stump in the woods."

Which as far as I know, all wood has. :roll:

firefighterjake said:
Folks calling cords "chords?" ;) :)

This guy has me beat - he's selling "cores" not even "chords"

fire wood $150.00 a core you move
and a trailer with 5 core of fire wood togetter $800.00
just the trailer $ 250.00 and you move sold
the other wood $200.00
and rest of the wood $ 50.00 each log

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 2163580400-1
image 2163580400-2 image 2163580400-3

"Why do you want more wood than you plan on burning this winter? It will all just rot away before you'll get to it next winter"
-My wife's uncle, who is also a wood burner.

"Everyone has one. It's only a matter of time before you have a chimney fire."
-Same uncle

offroadaudio said:
firefighterjake said:
Folks calling cords "chords?" ;) :)

This guy has me beat - he's selling "cores" not even "chords"

fire wood $150.00 a core you move
and a trailer with 5 core of fire wood togetter $800.00
just the trailer $ 250.00 and you move sold
the other wood $200.00
and rest of the wood $ 50.00 each log

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 2163580400-1
image 2163580400-2 image 2163580400-3
If you have ever been to port deposit md, this ad would not surprise you.

A friend of mine just bought a wood stove and cleans the stainless steel chimney by shooting 22 bird shot up the chimney with a pistol. Yes he takes the cap off first.

T@LFarms said:
A friend of mine just bought a wood stove and cleans the stainless steel chimney by shooting 22 bird shot up the chimney with a pistol. Yes he takes the cap off first.

Thank god for "safety first"... :roll:

Not my story, but trust the source for accuracy: thumping noise in a (fortunately cold) woodstove. Opened door, and a slightly disoriented-looking, dusty owl hopped out. I can only wonder how it negotiated the damper. Or what would have happened if it hadn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.