Galvanized Exterior vs Stainless Exterior Chimney Wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Metal said:
I would only use SS if I were using it for oil or coal burning, otherwise it is for looks only(if you like to see your reflection in it). As far as safety goes, the flues are all SS, and if the casing is exposed, you will see any corrosion long before the chimney would be deemed "unsafe for use." Drive around your city and look at roofs, all that B-Vent you see sticking out is galvanized, how many do you see corroding?

In fact, I started looking at metal pipe as I have been doing my daily running around town.

Maybe one out of every dozen was pretty ugly. Rusted brown. Not a big percentage, but when they do get rusty -- they are UGLY. Of course, I have no idea which ones were the old galvanized type, and which were the newer Galvalume type. The Galvalume is supposed to have twice or better rust resistant longevity than plain jane galvanized from yesteryear.

Can you tell I'm retired with lots of spare time on my hands?

BTB

Ok tell me something

Have you noticed all the Ugly Chimneys on your drives before you started looking for them?

Kind of like when I bought my Izusu cap over Service deliver truck.
I never noticed them around Untill I had one then I notices there were 100's of them used in my area.

yes the Galvalume is much better that the Older Galvanized pipe.

IMO if you can spend the extra 15% then go with the stainless. Or at least put the stainless out the roof.
but if you want to paint the pipe to match the roof then go with galvalume.

With ICC I know most of the Eastern and norther suppliers do not supply the Galvalume
my Distributor AES according to my price list they only stock it in the California warehouse.

BTB said:
Metal said:
I would only use SS if I were using it for oil or coal burning, otherwise it is for looks only(if you like to see your reflection in it). As far as safety goes, the flues are all SS, and if the casing is exposed, you will see any corrosion long before the chimney would be deemed "unsafe for use." Drive around your city and look at roofs, all that B-Vent you see sticking out is galvanized, how many do you see corroding?

In fact, I started looking at metal pipe as I have been doing my daily running around town.

Maybe one out of every dozen was pretty ugly. Rusted brown. Not a big percentage, but when they do get rusty -- they are UGLY. Of course, I have no idea which ones were the old galvanized type, and which were the newer Galvalume type. The Galvalume is supposed to have twice or better rust resistant longevity than plain jane galvanized from yesteryear.

Can you tell I'm retired with lots of spare time on my hands?

BTB

Interesting discussion to say the least... Being from the New England area..I'm used to real masonary flues. When I was out west, I had my first experience with B-Vent and 'chases' to enclose them.
A friend needed his roof done over...and asked me to take on the job. I did. As things progressed...he asked me to "address the two chimneys". Both were of the "chase design" and incorporated three B-Vent flues in each. The one on the end of the house was clad with brick...three stories tall. The 'main' one was clad with false brick. He wanted it "Done with real brick" becuase the hail storms over the years pummeled the fake brick to powder. I rebuilt it with real brick (after a whole lot of 'shoring and framing' was done..a real PITA to say the least) and then capped both with a masonary top. (wish I had pictures)

The funny thing was...after all was said and done, the inspector came by to "inspect the roof job" he pulled the permit for. My friend did some rather interesting 'back peddling' to say the least...lol "Who did this roof job??" the inspector asked. To which, of course my friend said "I did". The inspector smiled and shook his head "C'mon don't BS me..I been doing this way too long"...at this point my friend 'came clean' and told the story. "Well...A friend of mine from back east who is in the USAF stationed here in town took over the work for me and ya...he did a little more than was on the permit, he doesn't really work as a contractor here though..." ro which my friend thought things were going to get ugly until the county inspector replied "Wish he was a local contractor....I been a county inspector for 23 years, and in all that time I've never seen a 'roof job' done so nice...tell him he does good work...you're all set"... ;)

Like I said...wish I could find some pictures, the work really 'finished off' the house and disguised some really ugly pipe work...lol ;)

keyman512us said:
Like I said...wish I could find some pictures, the work really 'finished off' the house and disguised some really ugly pipe work...lol ;)

I wish you could find some pictures too. Would have liked to have seen your masterwork!

BTB

Status
Not open for further replies.