Garage heat! A few questions (maybe a Riley?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
.. Be surprised how well a slab of cement can moderate temps if the building is tight.
It's also surprising how your feet will freeze, even when the temp in the garage is 60°, if you let that slab get cold! ;sick
You will never warm it up.. BTDT...

Dan

The ground temperature around here doesn't go below about 50 F year round.

Actually at the surface where a slab sits it does go below 50F. We've lost several plants proving this. Some folks that have pipes buried too shallowly soon find this out during an extended cold snap in the teens. Below about 18" the ground temp does stay pretty constant, unless one lives at a higher altitude or more inland where winters are colder. Puget Sound otoh stays around 48-50F year round.

Last edited:
Anybody have any insight on an earth stove RP15? There is one a couple hours from me for $250 with venting.
My slab is thick, 5-6" (due to my inability to frame up Concrete), So if it's warm it should hold the heat nicely.

Don't think it can handle corn. Also is a positive pressure system that no one uses anymore I think. They made some nice looking units with stone inserts.
Insulate the outside of the slab so cold won't migrate in from sides. I either put bags of leaves or straw bales around to help and hopefully will be adding sheet insulation this fall to the whole garage.

Last edited:
Ok, I bought a Bixby model #100 built in 2004.
Plugged it in, flashes light 3. Couldn't figure out how to get the thing running while I was looking at it so the guy said I could just have it. I gave him $20, figures it's worth that in scrap.

I know nothing about this stove, what's wrong with it, or how to go about fixing it. If I can get it going cheap enough I'm all for it. If not then I'm really not out anything.

Any info or pointers would be appreciated.

Get in touch with" rona". He's out of SW MN and has a collection of Bixby's. My guess is the over temp switch may have failed or exhaust got to hot to throw that code.

Status
Not open for further replies.