garbage truck dumps load on fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
Had a little fire this afternoon, I guess someone put something in there garbage can that they should not have (ashes from fireplace) I think. The driver dumped his load on my street, check out the slide show.
Jim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEw0x2_PGU&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

Quite a blaze. Those burning pampers must have sweetened the neighborhood air for hours.

Oh, man, that's awful!

I don't understand how these folks that dump stove/fireplace ash in the trash or put it in cardboard boxes on their front porches have managed to survive to adulthood. I really don't.

I can imagine how thrilled the truck driver was, too. Awful.

Good burn... must be some well seasoned garbage.

So who's the old guy at the end with no teeth and holding the bloody mary. He'd be a good suspect.
Maybe the garbage guy had a brain fart and tossed his cigarette butt in there. That's happened before too.

If that happened in my neighborhood it would be in front of my driveway just before I had to leave for work. On a day that I had to be there at a certain time for a meeting........ And I'd have to say I couldn't get there on time because a garbage truck dropped a flaming pile of crap in front of my driveway.....

Matt

That stuff smelled bad, glad I was up wind!

Lanning said:
Had a little fire this afternoon, I guess someone put something in there garbage can that they should not have (ashes from fireplace) I think. The driver dumped his load on my street, check out the slide show.
Jim

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVEw0x2_PGU&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

To think I have wasted my money on wood all these years when I could have been burning garbage!! We could have wood, pellet, corn and garbage burning stoves! :)

Ray

At least the guy had the presence of mind to dump the load in the street instead of letting the truck burn.

True story . . . one of the few fires here that I have refused to go on even though I was free (bear in mind this is a volunteer FD) was a call a number of years ago for a report of a huge pile of human waste compost that was on fire . . . I just wasn't up to the thought of wading through poo to put out a fire.

EatenByLimestone said:
If that happened in my neighborhood it would be in front of my driveway just before I had to leave for work. On a day that I had to be there at a certain time for a meeting........ And I'd have to say I couldn't get there on time because a garbage truck dropped a flaming pile of crap in front of my driveway.....

Matt

So is that you in the green A6?

You're gonna be late.

firefighterjake said:
At least the guy had the presence of mind to dump the load in the street instead of letting the truck burn.

True story . . . one of the few fires here that I have refused to go on even though I was free (bear in mind this is a volunteer FD) was a call a number of years ago for a report of a huge pile of human waste compost that was on fire . . . I just wasn't up to the thought of wading through poo to put out a fire.

I thought he was really smart that he did get that stuff out of the truck before it started to burn. I was going out my house and saw him smoking on the top of the street.
My fire department story...lol...was with a large BFI garbage truck that was on fire on the interstate. I put all 500 gallons of water into the container while standing on top of it. The bottom of my boots were melted from the heat of the fire. It did smolder out but the road was closed for a long time. I dont blame you for not going to the crap fire. Let the new guys put that one out.

Not my A6, He did move it to a better location shorty after I took the pictures.

They cleaned up the mess with a bob cat and did a great job with the clean up.
Jim

Do I see a secondary burn above the diapers? Nice blue flame, seems to be just heat coming off there, not much smoke. I think he is a little close to the wires, so probably not code.

I can almost smell it in my mind.
Ok, a few questions:

Did the street get damaged badly?

How long did it take for the fire dept to get there?

Looks like those wires were sort of over the fire, did they get toasted?

I'm surprised if the EPA didn't come out and make them contain the run off?

Was there a guilty looking neighbor in the distance watching from behind a tree or peeking through their window?

Did anyone roast some marshmallows or weenies? :)

Oh yeah, who is the tune by? I like it.

I know nothing about trash truck but would the trash box contain the fire being metal or would the heat catch the hydro oil on fire and stuff?

skinnykid said:
I know nothing about trash truck but would the trash box contain the fire being metal or would the heat catch the hydro oil on fire and stuff?

Hydraulic lines would fry and truck would be toast.

Hogwildz said:
Ok, a few questions:

Was there a guilty looking neighbor in the distance watching from behind a tree or peeking through their window?

No sign of any damage to the street.
FD was at a training with lines stretched about 15 minutes
No known damage to the wires
very little water left the area, it was on a water shed about 2 blocks from Medicine Lake
No, I didnt see any one snooping around that didnt live a house or 2 away
It was hot enough but no...lol....

Radio call one afternoon....

"Public works #3 to Fire!"
"Public works #3 to Fire!"

"Fire... Go ahead."

"Come quick! My truck, she's on fire!"

"Where are you?"

"Out front! Come quick! My truck! She's on FIRE!"

In the parking area in front of the fire station, luckily not right in front of the doors... is a garbage truck, fully involved.

Yes, should have dumped the load when he noticed smoke. Always someone putting hot coals and ashes in the trash. Somehow they seem to hold together until they get compacted with something pretty flammable, like garbage. :)

Lanning said:
Hogwildz said:
Ok, a few questions:

very little water left the area, it was on a water shed about 2 blocks from Medicine Lake

Who does the tune in your video?

Hogwildz said:
Lanning said:
Hogwildz said:
Ok, a few questions:

I will have to check the file, I dont know off hand. Nice tune wasnt it?

Lanning said:
Hogwildz said:
Lanning said:
Hogwildz said:
Ok, a few questions:

I will have to check the file, I dont know off hand. Nice tune wasnt it?

It's The Posies, "I guess You're Right"

Status
Not open for further replies.