1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Garn placement

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by curtis, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    Curtis, my Garn supplier has a horizontal exhaust with a vertical chimney and has had no problems in nine years. I have the horizontal/barrel and am satisfied at this time.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. An issue that I see with using a horizontal vented garn with an exterior T and chimney is the length of the horizontal flue. I know every Class A chimney that I have installed has specified a maximum length of the horizontal piping (ususally 18-24") Probably wouldnt be an issue in use for the garn if you exceed that length. But it could be considered a code violation. And something for the insurance company to not like.
  3. eauzonedan

eauzonedan Member

Loc:
    Bayfield Co. Wi
    Curtis
    Here is the install info for external tee's and vertical chimney from the DuraVent site. They're .pdf files - or just go to the site for the full install document. http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1 They also have full dimensions of all the components on the site.
    Dan

Attached Files:

4. curtis

curtis Member

Loc:
    northern michigan
    Thanks for all the input/info guys, I really appreciate it. Im pretty sure that I am going to just go with a small seperate building for the boiler and 8-9 cords of wood storage. Someting around 20x20 I think will work good for me. Will probally with pole barn style framing to save money on not having to do any foundation and just pour a slab in it.