Gas fireplace starting help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wall switch or remote start?

• Wall

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Remote

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

David916

May 29, 2017
Sacramento, CA
Hi,

We just bought an 80's home that has two gas fireplaces on each side of the wall and we'd like to update the starting methods.

Can someone please share what would be the most affordable way to either convert it to a wall switch or remote control start?

If you could share what parts we'd need and the model numbers, I'd owe you one!

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 20170528_221051.jpg
    20170528_221051.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20170528_220423.jpg
    20170528_220423.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 215
  • 20170528_220358.jpg
    20170528_220358.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 196
You have log lighters, not gas fireplaces. I don't think a remote will work on the set up you have, & they are not heater rated appliances.
If you remove the log lighters & install gas log systems, you CAN use a remote, but not a thermostat remote, for the same reason. Gas logs are not heater rated either.
If you install gas DV inserts ($$$$) you can use either wall thermostats or remote thermostats.

Thank you for the heads up.

I'd like to have a setup like in the picture below -clear glass rocks over a flame. Any advice on how to make a simple version of this?

My fireplace terminology isn't up to par so please let me know in basic terms.

Attachments

• installed-jumbo-alpine-ice-rock1.jpg
    installed-jumbo-alpine-ice-rock1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 201
When it comes to gas, a "simple version" of a burner can be deadly. Go to your local hearth shop
& see what is offered in their gas log systems. Some vendors offer glass or rocks on their burners in lieu of logsets.
You should be able to get the look you want & since you already have gas flow into both fireplaces, the install will be quick.

Reactions: Tech Guru