1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

gas stove or pellet ???

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by argus66, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    im looking to put another stove in my basement i cannot decide between gas or pellet this stove would be for slight warming but mostly ambiance, if i do gas i can install it on the wall next to furnace so plumbing would be easy but venting would be tricky. can i vent it in furnace chimney? a pellet stove may work on wall just need to run pipe up wall oan out just over foundation. whats up with vent free gas stoves are they any good? thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    For right now, I'm moving your thread over to the gas forum. If you decide later that pellet might be the way you want to go, then we have a separate forum for that, too. Rick
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Hey, Argus66...

<>im looking to put another stove in my basement i cannot decide between gas or pellet this stove would be for slight warming but mostly ambiance, if i do gas i can install it on the wall next to furnace so plumbing would be easy but venting would be tricky. can i vent it in furnace chimney? <>

You CANNOT vent it into the furnace chimney, unless there's an unused flue. Every appliance must have its own chimney system...

<>a pellet stove may work on wall just need to run pipe up wall oan out just over foundation. whats up with vent free gas stoves are they any good? <>

Pellet soves are viable heat sources, but not much for ambiance...You MUST have electricity to run the 3 motors in em.

Vent-free are products that the owner of the company I work for TOTALLY avoids...We don't sell, service, or recommend them to anyone...
  4. tubbster

tubbster Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    If you have gas available, it is an easy choice.
    No loading
    No twice weekly clean outs.
    Nice ambiance (No blast furnace look)
    Very quiet when you turn the fan off. (No option with the pellet stove)
    No plastic bags to get rid of.
    No storing tons of pellets.
    No searching for pellets.
    No dust.
    No screening.
    Very little maintenance.
    Likely cheaper fuel.
    No worry's.
    Most likely cheaper to buy/install.
    HEAT WITHOUT ELECTRICITY.

What was your question again?
  5. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    ya looks like gas is winning just would be the venting. i could maybe put on opposite wall just a little more plumbing. just have to find good deal on gas stove and cheap install. seems hard to find them cheap.
  6. Fire Bug

Fire Bug New Member

Loc:
    Clarks Summit,Pa.
    Hi Arguss,
    I would avoid any appliance that is "Vent Free". They are band in many states and many dealers won't handle them.
    They are definitely a health hazzard and can cause many problems inside your home from the moisture and the gas fumes they produce that are not vented to the outside.

John
  7. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Yep..Nothing's gonna be "cheap" until April - UNLESS you can find something used...
    Demand is too high right now, but after the heating season is over, there should be some good sales...
    We generally discount EVERYTHING (product, venting gasline & labor) at LEAST 10% during that timeframe..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.