Gas to wood conversion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deor

Jan 2, 2015
Illinois
I bought a house with gas fireplace in it, has gas line to it but no gas log. I would like to know if I can burn wood in it. I found manuals covers in the house for a Martin Industries Model LF 36B and M36 so I have one of these models. Martin Industries is out of business so no help from them if I wanted to buy gas log but if I can I would like to burn wood. It has a 8 inch sheet metal chimney going out the roof. All information is appreciated,thanks

I bought a house with gas fireplace in it, has gas line to it but no gas log. I would like to know if I can burn wood in it. I found manuals covers in the house for a Martin Industries Model LF 36B and M36 so I have one of these models. Martin Industries is out of business so no help from them if I wanted to buy gas log but if I can I would like to burn wood. It has a 8 inch sheet metal chimney going out the roof. All information is appreciated,thanks

You MAY be able to burn wood as long as there weren't further modifications to the firebox when the gas was installed. You will need to have a certified professional perform a complete inspection to determine the status of the wood burner. If it is deemed safe to use as a solid fuel burner, you will need to shut off the gas flow, remove the gas line from the box & either replace the refractory in the box or plug the hole with refractory cement. Either way (gas or wood) you will have a very inefficient appliance which will waste energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.