Gassifier Smoke Stack....No Smoke but?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
But can you smell wood smoke? All the pictures I see, no smoke, maybe some steam, but can one still smell wood smoke at all once in full gassification burn?

I fired up the Garn today, first time, and there was no lack of smoke smell. Yes, once the water got up to about 115-120 or so, the smoke "looked" like it was gone out of the horizontal chimney. But there was clearly smell....and there also looked like smoke when you really looked with a flashlight into the "beam".

I think this smoke was less and less as it got hotter...but I think I could still clearly smell smoke around....although honestly, since I started the fire in 75 degree water, I have smelled smoke all night, no matter where I go!

I can smell some smoke in our milder weather now. During the cold of winter I doubt you will smell any smoke. What seems to happen is the mild weather forces the flue gas to the ground, Randy

My Garn will smoke for the first 10-15 minutes you can almost set your watch to it.Then it just stops and its clear from there on.If you reload it sometimes seems to smoke a little more then it's gone.Many times it won't smoke at all on start-up.I think it has something to do with the type of wood and how you load it.I have some issues with my vertical chimney but I'm glad I went with it because of my location(It might of have lingered around longer.)There defiantly is a learning curve with a Garn but it's easy and once you get used to it it's a great boiler.

A Tarm rather than a Garn, but usually not even a smell of smoke. Even aromatic birch is smell free. The high 1800F temps of gasification oxidize even the aromatics.

I just finished a burn and after just a few minutes, there was no smoke. But I could still smell smoke. Now, the Garn is horizontal flue, and in fact is directed down into a garbage can....so there's not attempt to send smoke upward. And like I say, for the majority of the burn I see only heat...no steam, no smoke. Yet, there is a smell.

It is my second day, so much to learn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.