General Opinion - Jotul 3TD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Curious what the experts out there think of this stove. Its what I am running. Bought it used for $300 last year, keeps my house a toasty 75 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I do find it hard to keep a burn going more than 4 hours though.

On another topic, I've been experiementing with kindling... For convienence and effectivness not to mention cost! Pinecones are fantastic.

Early every morning I put 3 pine cones on top of a few hot red coals in the stove, place 3 big oak/cherry splits on top within minutes I have an inferno.

I try not to burn to many pinecones because I'm not sure what the sap will do to my chimney but woah these things are great for getting...

Anyone else do this with pine cones?

Hi gman, I have the 2004 version of that stove and it burns clean and puts out a lot of heat for it's size and the $$$. With the small firebox, 4 hours between loads is very good.

I haven't used the pinecones, I normally used fatwood and am pleased with it.

All the best with your stove.

The inferno post pine cones will surely clean up any small creosote issue. Plus it's a very small amount. You'd have to be burning pine cones 24/7 to cause any problem. Can you imagine the volume of pine cones to equal a cord of hickory? LOL

I am of the firm opinion that "burning pine is bad" is a copmplete and total myth. In any modern EPA approved stove the temperatures should be such that the pine and its sap are completely burned off... the sap is just additional fuel. Hell, how do you think the people in Canada survive??? Its pine-land up there.

Also, the Jotul 3 is a benchmark of a stove, owned by thousands, loved by all.

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.