Glad to have joined

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRnut

Nov 26, 2013
MA
Hi all,
so joined the site after getting lots of information over the past 4 years. I've recently transitioned from having a freestanding stove in a rental property, to now owning a house with a large fireplace. 48 wide, 32 high and 18 deep at the bottom, 15 deep at a point 20 inches from the bottom.

The fireplace obviously has to go so I've bought myself an Englander NC13 from HD. I pondered long and heard at pretty much everything from inserts like the Clydesdale, to Craigslist options from hearthstone and virtually everyone else. In the end it came down to - simple, fits, low cost, good efficiency.

So, here's where my newbie questions come in. In the rental there was a solid pipe to the top of the chimney, but in this install I've bought a flexible liner kit from HD. I wanted the liner kit to connect an insert rather than use the T-piece - assuming there was just a collar in an insert connection. My reason for that configuration is that I want the freestanding stove to sit as much in the fireplace as possible.

Intention was to use the kit to connect the flexible liner directly to the top vent on the stove, all of which would be effectively hidden in the area beneath the flue damper in the masonry chimney. Is this ok to do?

Secondly, in doing my research a woman at northlineexpress mentioned that some manufacturers, home saver pro being one, require you to use insulation up the length of the liner. I had not heard this before.

What I want is to ensure I am safe and at the moment I am assuming the stove adapter that is not a T-piece does the same thing as a higher temp 24 gauge steel pipe that I believe is usually specified and that insulation is not required up the flue. The chimney is a masonry, outside, 25' high and current ceramic liner is in good shape.

Been burning for 4 years, complete newbie to installing though ;-)

thanks in advance for any replies or points in the right direction.

You can use the liner from the stove on up without issue, just like an insert. The issue may come in the fact not all wood stoves can be put in the firebox. The stove needs to be rated for insert and freestanding ( check with Englander on this) to be used in that configuration. If your not having it inspected and your house never burns down your fine. But both may require the duel certification.

Insulating the chimney is a good idea for an outside chimney. With the flue warmer you will get better draft and less heat loss out of your home if coupled with a block off plate. I have never heard of a code to have to do this, but it's possible.

If your house doesn't burn down you're fine. Quote of the week!;lol

Reactions: m12
I'lll grab some photos when the burner arrives and I've fitted the liner. Because it fits in the firebox of the original fireplace, with a small protrusion at the front - I believe I will be fine. There will be a fairly healthy air gap at the sides and the NC-13 comes with a rear heat shield and blower so I can move more temperature controlling air past the surfaces of the stove.

Thanks again for the replies - well, reply and wit.

Status
Not open for further replies.