Glass door cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
So quick question on cleaning the glass in the door. Do I need to wait until the unit is completely cool to clean the glass> Obviously, not going to do it when it is piping hot, but if it is warm can it be cleaned? Can the glass be damaged if I clean it while it is somewhat hot?

The glass will be ok. It can be done when warm, but the water or glass cleaning compound will dry out quickly which can lead to streaking.

Reactions: Hoytman
Never had a problem cleaning warm glass between loads at the coolest point. Tough not to if burning 24/7 and wanting the occasional clear view.

Yes, most 24/7 burners have no choice if it's the sole source of heating. If possible, I try to wait for a milder day and build a smaller fire in the morning so that I can do a late afternoon cleaning before the evening load.

Thanks for the feedback

what are you all using? Especially for the crusty stuff?
Ive yet to clean my glass, but there are some areas that just never totally burn off. It would be nice to have a clear view.

Crusty stuff gets a razor blade. A wet paper towel dipped in firebox ash gets the rest. A dry or damp paper towel follows up to finish. Works for most of it, most of the time.

I use cleaner on mine when the glass is warm but not when it's hot. To clear the glass when it's hot I use a wadded up sheet of newspaper. It will take off the gray haze and light brown gunk but not heavy brown gunk.

A tip I read here that works on heavy brown gunk: moisten a paper towel and dip it into the ash. It works surprisingly well on everything except the heaviest deposits. You'll need to clean the ash off the glass but that's easy.

I use wood stove glass cleaner (which is super caustic) a few times a year, on cold glass.

Someone here said that windex on hot glass can discolor it. I have not seen that but I'd rather not. When I'm done cleaning I wet a paper towel with water and go over it to get the windex off.

Reactions: marty319
I use the newspaper deal as well.hot fire and the dark stuff cleans up

Usually ash on a paper towel. It's ok when warm but as mentioned the water dries quickly and streaks which I personally think looks horrible.

For really caked on creosote you can use a damp magic eraser.

Usually ash on a paper towel. It's ok when warm but as mentioned the water dries quickly and streaks which I personally think looks horrible.

For really caked on creosote you can use a damp magic eraser.
Tom I love your new albums!
Ok you probably aren't him.

Back to stoves.
I am dubious of using ash as it may have silica in it but I'm sure a razor blade is just as harsh. I used a razor tonight gently but I really didn't have to work to hard. Only about 1/4 of my glass had anything on it and it was this very fine gray ash. The black stuff was toward the corner top and bottom and there was very little of that.

PXL_20221217_032901188.MP.jpg

Reactions: TomMcDonald
I clean mine every morning after using the stove the night before - usually only need a damp paper towel. In the beginning I did not clean as frequently and got the crusty build up in one area - paper towel dipped in ash did the trick. it is possible to make soap out of ash - something done back in the day.

I mostly clean mine during shoulder season. This time of year I just burn it off the next morning, and it gets really clean throughout the day as im not burning so low. Even shoulder season I remains pretty clean as I will load the stove cut the air some ane let it get into the coaling stage then turn the air back. There are times for sure the glass is dirty.. I use a combination of cleaner, razor blade, and a damp cloth. to clean.

Tom I love your new albums!
Ok you probably aren't him.

Back to stoves.
I am dubious of using ash as it may have silica in it but I'm sure a razor blade is just as harsh. I used a razor tonight gently but I really didn't have to work to hard. Only about 1/4 of my glass had anything on it and it was this very fine gray ash. The black stuff was toward the corner top and bottom and there was very little of that.

View attachment 305396
No, he style my name. I should ask him for royalties!

On a hot stove I use a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil from Sam’s Club ( https://www.samsclub.com/p/bakers-c...ice-foil-500-ft/prod4010123?xid=plp_product_2 ) to cover the stove opening when I open the door and want/need to clean the glass. That way I can let the door and glass cool down.

Catalyst stoves should wait until the stove cools down for reload and catalyst is disengaged so no damage is done to it from thermal shock.

Otherwise, the aluminum foil can be used on a hot stove.

Cover opening with foil, let glass cool, clean windows however you like. I prefer Rutland Glass Cleaner when necessary. Other times simply calls for a paper towel to wipe fly ash off glass (I burn coal). When burning wood process is the same.

I plan on making a flat plate to hang over top of door lip and put a handle on the outside of it.

(This can be done for a coal to prevent gases from coming in the house. Keystoker coal stoves come with a plate to cover door opening so glass can be cleaned while stove is in use. Can be done for a wood stove as well to block heat from a running stove, but you also may not feel it necessary for a wood stove.)

Last edited:
I've been using newspaper to get the grey haze off. Generally a few quick swipes during a reload. to do a thorough cleaning I use this stuff. Works pretty well.

IMG_0372[1].JPG

For years I've read about using a damp paper towel dipped in ash, but had very little luck with it. This morning I randomly decided to try it again, but with a LOT more ash on the towel. It worked so well that I did not need to use any of the nasty chemical cleaner, even on some pretty baked on stuff in the corner. A quick pass with a clean, damp paper towel finished the job.

-dan