Glass for Jotul #3: Help Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipTam

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
I've got a Jotul 3 TD at our summer/retirement home in Canada. The glass is still ok but I was thinking that if it should break it would take ages for us to get a replacement in rural Newfoundland and it would probably necessitate an early return to the States if it happened in September or October. So, I copied down the measurements and am planning to get a replacement piece of wood stove glass (neocerum?) this winter while we're back in Michigan just in case.

Here are my questions. I seem to remember a discussion of replacement glass a while back on Hearth.com and I think a number of folks recommended a company called One Day Glass. Are there other companies I might want to check out? Second, it was a little difficult to get exact measurements because of the gasket material around the glass but I came up with 14 1/16" wide by 9 1/4" high at the top of the arc. Now, the arc begins on the two sides at 5 1/4" from the bottom of the glass. I would be much appreciative if someone who has a Jotul 3TD or the newer Jotul F3 CB could double check my measurements. Better still, does the Jotul F3 CB manual give the dimensions of the glass? I know that my Jotul 3 TD manual did not. Many thanks for any help you folks can provide.

ChipTam

I have seen the glass on ebay. I would try Jotul I think they have it ready to go. In a pinch you could have a pc of sheet steel cut to fit for emergency purposes. Take the glass out and trace it onto some poster board and go to a sheet metal shop. You will need some washers to space out to the brackets that secure the glass as the sheet steel isn't as thick. And get some new gasket material when you change the glass .

Will

Unless you are getting the glass from Jotul, I would take the glass out, and like Willman said above, trace it onto some poster board. Give the tracing to the glass shop. this will/should ensure that your new piece of glass will fit perfectly!

Trying to accurately measure a piece of glass with a curve in the top sounds pretty difficult to me - tracing would be a sure thing!

ChipTam said:
I've got a Jotul 3 TD at our summer/retirement home in Canada. The glass is still ok but I was thinking that if it should break it would take ages for us to get a replacement in rural Newfoundland and it would probably necessitate an early return to the States if it happened in September or October. So, I copied down the measurements and am planning to get a replacement piece of wood stove glass (neocerum?) this winter while we're back in Michigan just in case.

Here are my questions. I seem to remember a discussion of replacement glass a while back on Hearth.com and I think a number of folks recommended a company called One Day Glass. Are there other companies I might want to check out? Second, it was a little difficult to get exact measurements because of the gasket material around the glass but I came up with 14 1/16" wide by 9 1/4" high at the top of the arc. Now, the arc begins on the two sides at 5 1/4" from the bottom of the glass. I would be much appreciative if someone who has a Jotul 3TD or the newer Jotul F3 CB could double check my measurements. Better still, does the Jotul F3 CB manual give the dimensions of the glass? I know that my Jotul 3 TD manual did not. Many thanks for any help you folks can provide.

ChipTam

No idea where on "the rock you's are", but try here:

Nfld. Saddelry & Leather Ltd
0.2 Kms
P.O. Box 2006, Stn C
St. John's, NF A1C 5R6
Phone: 709-753-3661
Email: [email protected]

Home Elements Inc.
5.9 Kms
15 Goldstone St.,Unit A -PO Box 13281, Sta A
St. Johns, NL A1B 4A5
Phone: (709) 579-2112 Fax: (709) 579-2114
Email: [email protected]

I would contact my local Jotul dealer and order the glass. Maybe be good to meet them anyhow in case you ever need anything else.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about replacement glass for my Jotul 3 TD. As several of you pointed out, I've also come to the conclusion that in order to get an exact replacement I'll probably need to order it through a Jotul retailer or take the glass out and make a template. I'm reluctant to try to remove the glass since the glass and gasket are working fine at the moment.

As one of you suggested, I went on to Ebay but, right now, the only Jotul glass I could find was for an F 400. It looks like woodmanspartsplus.com in New Hampshire might have glass in stock for the Jotul 3 TD but I'll need to confirm that. If not, they say I'll need to send a template for any glass with an arc. Thanks for the question and suggestions from Ottawa. I'm located about 2 1/2 hours north of St. John's on the ocean about half way between St. John's and Gander. I am familiar with Nfld Saddelry (the only Jotul dealer in Nfld). But, for the last few years they've maintained only an empty storefront in St. John's. Rumor has it you can still order from them but I would be reluctant to do so. I'm not familiar with Home Elements, Inc. in St. John's but will get off an e-mail to them.

So, I guess I will order the glass through a wood stove retailer (perhaps here in Michigan or in St. John's) who can order directly from Jotul in Maine. The only price I've seen so far is $115 and I suspect that is quite a bit more than I would pay through an aftermarket source but, at least, I would know it fits. Thanks again for all of your replies.

ChipTam

$115 eh?, well if I ever need to replace the glass in my F3CB, I know how much I will need to squirrel away. All the more reason to be careful, me-thinks.

I just checked Jotul's 2011 parts catalog & the 3TD glass is $137.22 + freight - maybe another $10...

I bought mine used about 1 month ago. After about 1 week of successful burning the lower left corner of the glass broke (as viewed from the front). It turns out the glass had slipped down off the gasket. The contact with the cast nub that is only on the left caused the pane to twist and stress the lower left. When I replaced the pane I put a bit of furnace cement on the lower right to counteract the left in case it slips again. I checked the exploded parts view and saw that my stove had all the required parts. There are nubs for more clamping screws on the bottom but they are unused at present.

Anybody else have this problem? Anybody else using the extra lugs?

I bought my glass here:
http://www.fireglassonline.com/
It cost me $97 total including shipping from Chicago to Boston. They have template on file so no measuring, no fussing needed. Glass arrived in about 5 days and fit perfectly.
I cannot remember exactly how to navigate their site. When you get it right, you will be entering "Jotul 3CB" in the comment box and they'll know exactly what you need and the price comes up accurately automatically. Wish I could re-create it. You'll have to poke around.

Dave,

I don't want to go off the original topic too much here.

Here is a picture of the inside of my door. The small nubs with the holes that you speak of are not used. I am not sure if they are tapped for screws. The larger nub on the left side of the door stops the latch on the inside. There is a little shelf that supports the glass on each side fo the small nubs. I am wondering if the glass gasket is too thick pushing the glass past the shelves. The glass gasket is a flat style, about 3/16" thick. The two clips on the sides of the glass have a piece of the flat gasket under them holding the glass snug. Where the stove was used, I am wondering if the gasket was replaced with the wrong size. You should not need furnace cement to hold anything in place on the door. I'd recommend checking the glass gasket and replacing if necessary. It is cheaper that new glass again. ;-)

Attachments

• DSC00316.jpg
    DSC00316.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 433
I think you're right about the gasket being too thick. Mine looks exactly like yours except that the gasket makes the glass stick up beyond those tabs. I recall having some difficulty getting the gasket to stay in the groove while I installed the glass. I'll place an order for some more gasket today.

The flat gasket is adhesive backed. When you change it remove the clips, glass and old gasket. Use a small wire brush to remove the old adhesive out. Stick the new one down into the groove. I got my gasket from Seacoast Fireplace in Seabrook, NH on Rt. 1. They are very knowledgable, and have a bunch of stoves to look at while there.

http://www.seacoastfireplace.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.