Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
Greetings All,
I looking forward to another season! I have a quick question regarding the glass. I did a quite a few searches here before posting and yielded no results.

My glass is a bit foggy, (at cool down, i'm doing the break in now). For the past 3 years I used damp newspaper and ash to clean it. But the glass now looks as tho milkiness is etched in the glass. Has anyone experienced this and what should I use to get the glass 100% clear. Thoughts? Can't wait to hear what to do. Thanks

Well water?
If so . . . could be mineral deposits left behind? A hot enough fire should burn it off.

I have had good luck cleaning off that fogginess with just a paper towel dipped in some ashy water or if its really tough a scotchbrite pad/green scrubby dipped in the ashy water

Be very careful with Scotch Brite pads. There are different "grits", and the most aggressive will scratch glass, so I can only assume it will also cause damage to pyroceram windows in wood stoves. I inadvertently but permanently damaged the windshield of one of my cars some years ago using a Scotch Brite pad to remove some paint overspray droplets.

Yea dont use a gray scotch brite on glass, only the green ones.

What is Bon Ami? Town water however I do think it's hard water. When I wipe it with plain water it looks good till it dries. Then glass clouds up again. Could this be a result from cleaning the glass when it was too hot and therefor some etching occurred?

The window in the stove is not glass, it's a ceramic material that's very resistant to heat. I have two wood stoves, both of which have seen a few years of service, and I've periodically cleaned the windows in both. They both have just a bit of a haze in spots that doesn't come off with normal non-aggressive cleaning. They'll look perfect while I'm cleaning, then as they dry off, they haze up just a bit again in some areas. I might go quickly back over a time or two, but then I don't worry about it. Ain't no big deal. After I've cleaned the windows, the fire view looks crystal clear burning in there. Rick

What is Bon Ami? Town water however I do think it's hard water. When I wipe it with plain water it looks good till it dries. Then glass clouds up again. Could this be a result from cleaning the glass when it was too hot and therefor some etching occurred?
It could very well be due to cleaning the glass while hot. I made that mistake with my old fireplace (hot glass + sodium hydroxide = etched and dirty looking glass.) I won't be repeating that mistake with my new insert!

Cleaning when its to hot would not cause etching if it was to hot and you used a wet rag it would break not etch

The window in the stove is not glass, it's a ceramic material that's very resistant to heat. I have two wood stoves, both of which have seen a few years of service, and I've periodically cleaned the windows in both. They both have just a bit of a haze in spots that doesn't come off with normal non-aggressive cleaning. They'll look perfect while I'm cleaning, then as they dry off, they haze up just a bit again in some areas. I might go quickly back over a time or two, but then I don't worry about it. Ain't no big deal. After I've cleaned the windows, the fire view looks crystal clear burning in there. Rick
Fossil is correct, it is not glass, but rather ceramic. Etching of "fogging" is not uncommon over time (we generally start to see it on a cold stove after about 3 years). When the fire is blazing it is not that big of a deal, but we like to change the ceramic every five years just to keep it fresh looking. Hey, it's no different than your car: it needs new wipers blades, oil changes, tranny flushes, etc... Your woodstove is an investment, so take care of it and put a little into when it needs it (this includes checking and changing your gaskets). :)

Cleaning when its to hot would not cause etching if it was to hot and you used a wet rag it would break not etch
Fireplace cleaner and hot glass. Left for a minuite ot two to get paper towel (dry). Tried to wipe off. Left with etched streaks where it was sprayed. I only go near the glass now when between fires.

Try some 0000 steel wool. The finest available. Test in a small corner area first to make sure its not going to scratch! I am able to use it on quadra-fire glass without issue. You should beable to scrub quite vigorous without scratching the glass. If it does however, try some actual stove glass cleaner, not the spray but the white stuff in a bottle, it has more of a compound feel to it that may polish out the etching. Or maybe the ceramic cook top cleaner for stoves. Once again test a small spot first. Just throwing out ideas here. So no promises.

Try some 0000 steel wool. The finest available. Test in a small corner area first to make sure its not going to scratch! I am able to use it on quadra-fire glass without issue. You should beable to scrub quite vigorous without scratching the glass. If it does however, try some actual stove glass cleaner, not the spray but the white stuff in a bottle, it has more of a compound feel to it that may polish out the etching. Or maybe the ceramic cook top cleaner for stoves. Once again test a small spot first. Just throwing out ideas here. So no promises.
Ours fogs up after about 3 years (or 18 cords) of burning. It only does it in the center of the glass (ceramic) on the bottom half. I too have considered putting a buffing wheel on it with polishing compound to see what I could do, but have yet to be that adventurous. Sadly, they are not cheap, but with what you save, it is worth replacing now and again, also a good excuse to do your window and door gaskets at the same time. :)

Anyone ever try a Magic Eraser?
no but now im curious! I just use a wet paper towel in between burns and sometimes a bit of ash for grit. With the wash on these stoves I find it doesnt take much to clean. I hear blaze kings are bad for this jab, jab:p

Glass cooktop cleaner works very well on stove glass. Rutland makes a similar product for stove glass.
I know some may use ash and a damp rag, but I ain't into that, and still feel over time it will create etching.
Once it's etched, it's etched. Will look good until it dries and the haze comes back.
Regardless of how well and how careful you are, in time just use of the stove will create a few foggy areas.

For every day fly ash . . . I just use a damp newspaper.

For some baked on gunk (don't see as often) . . . I use a damp newspaper and may dip it in some fine ash . . . or just burn it off on the next high burn.

For that haze . . . another option besides the high burn is to use something like Rutland's stove cleaner. In truth this works pretty well on the haze.

Thanks everyone.

After reading all the comments and re-reading the owners manual. Which I do every year at the beginning of the burn season and during. (A PDF on the iPad does wonders) I'm going to try wood stove glass cleaner as mention above. The manual says to not use steel wool on the ceramic but to use LOW alkaline glass cleaner to get rid of the haze. When door is cool apply at and let it sit for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.