GOBS O' RAIN coming your way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodconvert

Minister of Fire
May 24, 2007
Fenton Michigan
All you folks out east of Michigan....yall have rain coming your way...the likes of which I have never seen in my 40 years which will then be followed by the remnants of hurricane Ike.

Now, I don't wanna seem like a Wendy Whiner..I know there are many around the Gulf coast that have got real problems. But I have never EVER seen 6+ inches of rain in 24hours. Cripes. Anyhow, had I known this was coming....I may have covered up the wood pile!!.

That is all.

Hey, keep the wood covered year round. Then we can only worry about 6 inches of rain in our basement!
At least the wood stack will be dry!!

It's been a weird summer here in southern Maine - we've had three days in the past 6 weeks with 6 plus inches of rain.

GLOBAL WARMING ......the water from the melting caps has to go somewhere!!
better your place than mine...... however we got more than 12 inches in less 24 hrs on more than once this summer

Valhalla said:
Hey, keep the wood covered year round. Then we can only worry about 6 inches of rain in our basement!
At least the wood stack will be dry!!

I'm an non-cover til Oct/Nov kinda guy.
Speaking of keeping the rain out of the basement...guess who's sump pump decided to die today????? :sick:

I know some of you fellas get some rain out east....but do you really get 12" in 24hours??????????. If so...i'm done whining.

Gosh damn....since we dumped out the rain gage (6"max) we've got over an inch more and it's supposed to rain all day tomorow. That's crazy stuff for these parts....tryin' real hard not to whine.

Just checked my uncovered wood bin. It's all soaked. Put the tarp on about an hour later it stopped raining. Oh well, it is well seasoned so I'm sure it will be fine in a week. I watched the weather reports on thursday and thought "I should probably cover the wood". Never did get around to it. KD

It was mid 70s today and upper 70s tomorrow, not a cloud in the sky. My woods covered!

I'm looking at 7 inches in the bucket I set out friday morning here in Brighton, MI. More rain today, weather man says at least another inch today. Then there is the rain from Ivan, it has not even hit Chicago yet (they got dumped on worse than us in Michigan), but it's headed right this way as well.

It just went from a light drizzle to a heavy rain in the time it took to type this post. Keeping an eye on the sump pump. KD

WE got 6+ inches from HAnna (was it here?) then a few inches in the last few days and then I expect Ike to roll up here with another 4-8 inches. Should be a wet one.

Hey kd...i'm 15 to 20 minutes North of Brighton and just looked at the rain gage. We got an additional 2.5"+ last night for a total of 8.5" since friday afternoon. Ike is next. This is an anomily for this area. 2 inches is typically a real reavy rain.

Looks like the rain is almost done and Ike is on it's way East. Where i'm at we are looking at a total of 11 inches of rain....ats a lot of rain no matter how you slice it.

Yes, my bucket measures 12 inches high and it is about 1/4 inch from the top. Man that was some rain. Hope it is done. KD

Haven't had rain since March. . .

Dumbfishguy said:
Ice Man global warming is not real . natural cycle Lose the hype

Um, if there's no global warming, what exactly is it you think is cycling naturally, just curiously?

gyrfalcon said:
Dumbfishguy said:

Um, if there's no global warming, what exactly is it you think is cycling naturally, just curiously?

The explanation for temperature rise is due to the planet still coming out of the last ice age. The cycles of planet earth are much longer than the human lifespan, yet the 'green media' doesn't understand that.

gyrfalcon said:
Dumbfishguy said:

Ha! Burn!!!

If I recall, in the 70's people said "we are heading for an ice age!" KD

That's my understanding that "they" realized its not global warming right now its actually global cooling.....but to cover their asses from now on "they've" decided to just call it all climate change.

Go figure.

myzamboni said:
gyrfalcon said:
Dumbfishguy said:

The explanation for temperature rise is due to the planet still coming out of the last ice age. The cycles of planet earth are much longer than the human lifespan, yet the 'green media' doesn't understand that.

No, my point is there *is* global warming, even if you want to attribute it to natural cycling. And it's really not a question of "green media." There's really no scientific dispute about it anymore. There's not even much scientific dispute anymore about whether it's at least in part a result of human activity.

gyrfalcon said:
myzamboni said:
gyrfalcon said:
Dumbfishguy said:

No, my point is there *is* global warming, even if you want to attribute it to natural cycling. And it's really not a question of "green media." There's really no scientific dispute about it anymore. There's not even much scientific dispute anymore about whether it's at least in part a result of human activity.

So it should be called global climate adjustment. This covers all aspects of the cycle.

Back to the origional subject.

Ike did not do much here but give us about 3-inches of rain, but we went on a short hike in a park south west of Harrison, Arkansas on Sunday. You should have seen some of the huge trees knocked over there. There was pines 20 and 30-inches across and oaks about the same size ripped loose at the roots. There is plenty of nice wood to be cut in that area.

While I was trying to figure out how somebody could get to this stuff, my wife was bird hunting with her new camera.

By the looks of what i've seen on the news...there will be plenty of wood for fuel down that way for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.