Gonna take the plunge, got questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rpmm70 said:
So I guess an update is due, first off, I really appreciate all of the comments that have replied to this thread so far. This IS the best site. I have three new, 500 gallon propane tanks on their way to my shop. They will be installed in the shop vertically. And no, I did not pay new price for them. I paid scrap steel price because these tanks the welds on either an end bell or fitting was questionable by the manufacturer and they sell them for scrap (good for me!)

I just got off the phone from the individual I am going to by my boiler from. How does $6500.00 shipped sound for an EKO 60? This will be installed in the shop also.

For the initial install of the boiler, I will have to run a minimum of two furnaces with HX coils. One in the shop and one for the first floor of the house. Past practice has shown that an average of 73-74 *F first floor in the home yields roughly 67-68 *F upstairs temp. So I will run this until I can install a radiant system. I am not sure on how I can install a hx of 200%. The size of the plenum limits this, its 16 x 20, so I am guessing at roughly 100000btu. Just a rambling thought, what if someone installed two coils in series, one on top of another. I will not do this but could better transfer of heat be made...or a coil that is thicker than 3"

Pretty soon I am going to have to talk to u guys on what is the best for underground line installs. DIY or Tube in pipe

Congratulations! It is such a relief when a decision is made.

on the double coil, Heaterman replied in my thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74321/#871060

Hope this helps.

Ok, scratch that thought...lol So it looks like I wont be able to get anywhere close to 200%, but I would think it should be more than adequate to do the job, and besides, its temporary.

rpmm70 said:
The size of the plenum limits this, its 16 x 20, so I am guessing at roughly 100000btu. Just a rambling thought, what if someone installed two coils in series, one on top of another. I will not do this but could better transfer of heat be made...or a coil that is thicker than 3" DIY or Tube in pipe

Call Ross at Nationwide coils [ http://www.nationwidecoils.com/ ] and he can talk you though various build options (dimensions, number of rows, size of tubing, and the BTU output that will result at various particular water temperatures and air flow rates (you should find out the CFM of your furnace blower). With his help I had this monstrosity made:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25090/

PS, the plenum bonnet on my furnace was smaller than this coil, but the coil sits over the furnace, and then I just trunked it back down to the duct size on the outlet side of the coil. Works really well.

if I understand correctly operate at 15% less water temperature.
You can up size them some for even lower temps,and they also have a fan boost add on for even better efficiency.

Will

If I was you I would listen to PYBYR. I called ross at Nationwide and had a coil built for my 20' x 20" plenum. He made exactly what I wanted, 4 rows of 5/8" tubing with 1.25" headers. Everyone seems to think that 140 degree water is the lowest temp usable in a water to air hx,but I have no problem using 125 degree water. The fan runs longer, but I still am extracting heat with a Grundfos Alpha pumping 5 gpm. With the large tubes and supply lines the Grundfos is only using 30 watts at maximum draw. Thanks PYBYR.

So on the topic of this boiler that I am interested in, does this appear to be a descent buy, or should I look elsewhere and/or at a different boiler? A whole lot of you knowledgeable people on this forum have these units and have first hand experience with them. (and yes I have read the fine tuning an EKO thread) Maybe a little insight on the do's and dont's of these units, and maybe how they compare to an equivalent sized unit of another manufacturer. I have looked at the garn for the past 2 weeks and just cant bring myself to shell out that much.(its outta my budget (I have a boss too ya know)) so i guess I am saying in the upwards of 8oooish for a unit would be where I would want to spend, and cheaper of course, but dont want a POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.