Good burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Finally got around to asking this... after tearing myself away from the mesmerizing flames in the 30.

The photo shows my 30 burning merrily, but the appear to be no flames coming from the burn tubes; if anything, it seems the burn tubes are blowing air, as the flames seem to divert around the holes in the tubes.

Are the pictured flames secondaries? I guess the real question is, is this what my burn is supposed to look like?

FWIW, the load is only about halfway up the height of the firebox. Load is 100% hickory, 2 years C/S/S.

Oh, and the air is completely closed on the 30, or at least as completely closed as the 30 allows it to get.
Fire1.jpg

The photo shows my 30 burning merrily, but the appear to be no flames coming from the burn tubes; if anything, it seems the burn tubes are blowing air, as the flames seem to divert around the holes in the tubes.

Are the pictured flames secondaries? I guess the real question is, is this what my burn is supposed to look like?
Looks to me like a nice mellow secondary burn.:cool:
AKA Purple Haze or Ghost Flame. . .the gases collect in the firebox and burn all over the firebox, instead of burning only at the air jets in the tubes. My stove does the same thing vs. burning @ the jets above the glass when I give it more air. FWIW, I think a mellow secondary burn is nicer to watch, and may be more efficient than a vigorous jet-burn, due to longer dwell time in the firebox.

Looks like some great secondary action to me! It is just that the firebox is so hot that the gasses ignite immediatly and fill the firebox instead of just rollin around up at the top

Your doing just fine. Enjoy.
Many others would kill for that good burn.

Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.