Good place for a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bebopin

Dec 29, 2007
Wisconsin
I am looking at putting a hearthstone Mansfield stove in my house.The place that i want it is thru a wall from the livingroom to a den.I will be taking out the wall and there is an old chemney on the front wall of the house.YES I will be haveing it looked at first before useing it.If not worth useing will go out the wall to the outside.The length of the wall is 54'' from the brick chemney to the frame for french doors.I will be putting the stove at an angle faceing the livingroom.Here is a pic of the wall it will be thru.
HPIM2128.jpg

This is just the start of my project and am looking forward to more time on this site. thanks Phil

By all means try to use the interior chimney if at all possible. You will likely want to put a liner in it, so make sure it's clean first.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the original question. What is meant by "thru a wall"? Does this refer to the flue or the actual stove? Can you post a diagram or some photos of the proposed location?

Ok I cannot get the picture to post.

I will try and explain.If you would like a picture I will send it in an E_mail tho.

The wall is next to the chemney and it is 54'' to a frame for french doors that lead to the den.The stove will be thru the wall at an angle faceing the liveingroom. The wall seperates the liveingroom and the den.the chemney is on the front wall of the house.
the chemney is brick coverd with plaster. hope this makes it clearer. phil

Here are afew more pics of the wall that I am putting the stove thru.And also the stove.
HPIM2131.gif

HPIM2129.gif

I would definatly try and use the existing chimney. Even if it is in not so good shape you can probably line it with an insulated SS liner to make it safe. Unless it is ready to fall off the house or crumble apart.

Hard to tell if its a good place for the stove without a floor plan. Were there any other questions in there?

I was just wondering if anyone has seen a stove placed into a wall that is cut away.The opening will be 54'' wide and about 58'' high.I was thinking that with this opening i will be get the full heat output of the stove as apposed to halving part of the stove against a wall or in a alcove.just my thoughts on the install I am think of.

Can you post a sketch of what you are wondering about? I'm not not visualizing properly.

Ok the picture of the wall is where i will be cutting thru.open all the way to the other room...picture with fish tank...in the opening iwill be building the hearth and placing the stove.The door of the stove will be faceing the camara position i took the picture from.if you look at the right side of the picture you can see the frame for a set of french doors that open to the other room with fish tank.on the left of the picture you can see the outline of the chemney.
wallsegment.gif

this is what the wall will look like with the cut out. i hope that this helps. phil

Well, it's odd, I've never seen it done before. And why not remove the wall? Is this a supporting wall? Also not clear why do this if there is a set of adjacent french doors that could be left open or removed.

I'd guess the governing factor here is clearances from combustibles as governed by the stove's manual. Those clearances need to include flue pipe clearances.

Odd or just differant? No it is not a load barring wall and the doors are over 150 years old.Plus Wife wants them back in after install...lol.The remaning wall over the stove will have a stone mantel.I will be posting pictures as i move along with the work. I am just trying something differant.

I sometimes watch too many home improvement shows....my head is filled with ideas.lol thanks phil

Page 8 of your namual states that the minimum ALCOVE height must be 36" above the stove, that cut out will be considered an ALCOVE and therefore must be 36" above the stove.

Looks like that wall has to come out.............................

Sorry, but I still don't quite understand what you are trying to do. Would it be like either one of the attached drawings?

Attachments

• Chimney.GIF
    Chimney.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 343
Yes it is like the bottom one.But the only deference is that the chimney is right at the end of the wall and stove would be facing the other way.

As far as clearance from top of stove to the wall it will be more then 36'' plus it will have a stone mantel.

What he is wanting to do is cut a hole in the wall put the stove in the middle of the wall facing the living room so it is kinda like a modified alcove. I am guessing so that he gets radiant heat in both rooms.
I see no reason why this would not work as long as minimum clearances is met. I say go for it.

I'm wondering if there is enough side clearance to pull this off. The Mansfield is a big stove. It needs 18" clearance on the sides or about 63" from the centerline of the stove pipe connection. The clearances can be reduced to 48" by having "code legal" protected surfaces (stone mantle doesn't cover this). And this is only with the stove installed parallel in the alcove, not diagonally. What is the measurement from the chimney to the french door jamb?

Sorry for the delay in answering. I drive truck. the clearance from chimney to door jam is 56''. I will be wrapping the inside (side closest to the stove) with 2 to 3 thicknesses of cement board.I will also have the stove closer to the chimney and just a little farther out into the livingroom.I have the stove and have been doing some measuring.also the height from the stove top to the mantel will be at or above 36''.

And thanks for all of the replies

Juts putting a bunch of cement board on a wall doesn't necesarily reduce any clearances to the combustible wall behind it.

Sorry, there isn't room unless code legal protection to combustibles is provided. A few layers of durock is not the same. It will conduct the heat to the wood. The requirement is a shield that provides a 1" airspace behind it and is open at top and bottom for ventilation. Read the manual for more details.

But I think this is close to possible. I'm going to assume that you will need at least a doubled up 2x4 on the hinged french door side + the casing for the door + some sort of finish covering. Lets say 5" for the door post assembly, then add 2"+ for both shields if made from sheet metal. It leaves you with 49" which is just enough. So it seems like it might just squeak in.

Bebopin,
Please do yourself and your animals a big favor and get them all out of the house while you are doing your break in fires and for several days afterwards. Our stove STUNK like a skunk while the stove paint and the stove cement cured and off-gassed.

I made my husband do all the break in fires over several days' time and I took my birds to my folks and then I and they stayed there.

The stove also does get a bit stinky if he doesn't burn hot fires in the stove, just adding a split or a log instead of stuffing it, or even adding three small pieces of wood.

Just be careful about your animals (and kids!)

Tink

With the measurements that I have it is going to be close. But if I have to I will incorporate a metal shield around the door frame with 1'' between as to get it to code.

Thanks Tink Will do with the animals...2 birds 4 cats 1 chinchilla and many fish.
Hope to get breakin fires done early next fall so we can have some windows open and let all of the stink out.

Well I have been working on getting this fine looking stove ready.(Note to self...Next time hire A pro) lol.
Have the chimney installer coming next week.And now have the hearth built
stovefoundation003.gif
.All the clearance's are right and hoping that by next weekend I can be up and running.I will post more after all is hooked up and ready to fire up.

Status
Not open for further replies.