Good use for ash - coal or wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coldinnj

Hearth Supporter
A nice use for ash is to mix it in with cement / concrete for walkways, driveways, patios etc. The encapsulation helps keep the nasties, some would complain of, at bay.

In the way of Data... Hard, scientific testing by myself, no. Although I have used it and liked the result.
As to some sources. I spoke to the people at 3 different cement companies. They all agreed with the use and in fact recommended. Stating among other things that it would tend to strengthen the mix. Not the same as say Duraweld C or some other polymer bonding agent but beneficial. They also told me about the encapsulating properties.

No problem Dylan, I enjoy a good intelligent debate. Even admit when I'm wrong, Ift that ever were to happen (see definitions for Joke / Humor / sarcasm / levity etc.). Anyway the nasties I'm referring to are what some on this forum claim to be so aweful about coal ash. I'm saying the bonding and / or encapsulating of the cement / concrete keeps the nasties of the coal ash from leeching out as quickly or being a problem.
Heck for that matter think how much damage we are all doing to our environment with this forum. Spending many unneeded hours with a monitor, computer and probably room light on, using electricity. Wasting that energy, causing use of our natural resources, adding to pollution, the electricty adding to the ozone and greenhouse problems. Plus much more, but alas I must adress my coal ash problems to appease the wood burners. Who of course use gas engine guzzling chain saws. Very possibly two stroke engines that pollute with oil also. Possible four wheelers or trucks to haul their wood. Much more to go on about but again it is my coal ash that is the culprit hence I intend to make many sidwalks, patios and driveways just to keep my polluting coal ash at bay. Aren't I nice ;)

I've read about ash being used in concrete with good results. I will eventually try it when I go about replacing my kitchen counters. In any case, I just wanted to add that the best thing I've found out about concrete is SLOW curing. I mean s-l-o-w. A concrete contractor told me as I was pouring a small step that after the surface hardened a little bit to lay a damp cloth over it and then cover the damp cloth with plastic. Dampen the cloth everyday for a week. I did so (used some burlap and let me tell you that is the hardest damn concrete at my property. Not a hairline crack 2 years and counting and I even dropped a transmission on it once... not a scratch. My 2 cents.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.