Good wood, goood stove (insert) or good operator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Loaded insert (80's buck stove) with totally seasoned oak, locust and a couple of ash splits at 10:30.
House is a 50's 3br ranch with central masonary chimney. Woke up at 6am to 69deg and plenty of hot coals to add fuel to.
20 degrees outside @ 6am.

Prbbly all of the above.

I started 3 years ago with just a good wood stove. The first year was adequate but not wholly satisfying. By the 2nd year I had gathered about 15 cords of good dry wood and things improved. Now for the 3rd year I've finally been able to put together all I've learned on this site and from my trial and error and am having a very good burning season. For example during my first year I had trouble getting stove top to or above 400 degrees, always seemed to let out too much smoke when I opened door to add fuel, didn't have enough kindling etc. This year it's all coming together - I'm just now just letting the stove cruise down from 500 degrees before I add more fuel(smoke free). My main concern now is getting in front of the stove before my dog - I would gladly share but she seems to think it's all hers.

Status
Not open for further replies.