1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Got it home!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Mr A, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I went out to walk the dog tonight. I've been walking past this downed oak in the park for a year now trying to think of a way to get it into my wood burner. Its over 3' across and 20' or better long. It rotted at the base and fell over. City crews limbed it and chipped up the branches. Everyone is afraid of getting sued so asking permission is not an option. There are several other big chunks around it. Last time I tried I was unable to roll any of them. Tonight, I gave one a heave, and it moved! I've got nothing better to do, I thought, and decided to roll it home. Well, I got it about 50' to the sidewalk and gave up. I went back with a hand truck and some rope. I got it onto the dolly, tied it and very easily pushed it to my truck which was a good quarter mile away. When I got to the truck, I hadn't planned on how I was going going to get it up in there. I could roll it, but it's too heavy to lift. I looked around to ask a hand, no one was around. It's a mile back to the house, I could push it? I laid the dolly over the tow hitch, Tied the big round tighter to the dolly, tied the dolly to the tow hitch and hauled it home,slowly,using the dolly like a mini trailer. It worked. I have a 40 inch hand powered timber saw that needs to be sharpened. Once it is I plan on getting my workouts by cutting the trunk into 16" pieces and hauling them home the same way. Or, maybe just post a labor gig on Craigslist calling for a harnessed mule to drag it a mile to where I can work on it.
    schlot, raybonz and oldogy like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. weezer4117

weezer4117 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central In
    thats some southern engineering!!!
  3. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Wow - that is some determination!!
    raybonz likes this.
  4. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    way to get it Mr A
  5. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Congratulations MR. A you've won the "Most Inventive Way to Move Wood" portion of tonight's contest. Now, it's on to the bikini portion of the contest. Hurry and get those legs shaved during the break and good luck to you!;lol
    swagler85 likes this.
  6. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Don't think I'm up for seeing pics of the guys on here with legs shaved and bikinis ;)
  7. Ralphie Boy

Loc:
    Oh man! Quick.... get the mind bleach!!!!!!!
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Make mine a double.... ;lol
    Blue2ndaries likes this.
  9. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    you can imagine cause them guys in California like to roll :cool:
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sure would have liked to seen some videos of this!
    Blue2ndaries likes this.
  11. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Not following following your humor, why would I dress up in a bikini after moving a heavy piece of wood? That's just weird!
  12. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    Optimized-IMG_20130126_160827.jpg Optimized-IMG_20130126_155226.jpg IMG_20130126_160724.jpg IMG_20130126_161148.jpg Optimized-Optimized-IMG_20130126_160654.jpg IMG_20130126_161823 (1).jpg
    no video, heres pics The big one Is 3' by 20' long. It's not really a park, but a vacant city owned lot along a busy street, the neighborhood uses it as a dog park. No where to get a truck in, No stopping along the roadway. Several trees just rotting away, as will this one, eventually, unless I can get it cut up and hauled home, I only have an 18" chain saw.
  13. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Go after that bad boy:) after U cut it, take a maul and wedges and split on site to get it smaller / wheel barrow to truck
  14. Ralphie Boy

Loc:
    So how does the city feel about you cutting that monster and moving it out of their way? If they don't care then tear it up! some noodlle work and wedge work and you've got BTU's for years to come. Good luck that could work out great for you.
  15. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I tried to contact someone from the city, had to leave several messages, and no one got back to me. I would probably be in deep excrement if caught cutting it up, so I wont. There are 4 other big trunks on the ground and they're all rotten. This land may be some oak tree preserve, I don't know. A permit is required to cut your own over 19
    ' at 54"above ground. Tree permit exemption reads "8. Dead or dying trees. Removal of trees determined by the Director, or an arborist approved by the
    Director, to be dead or dying, have become hazardous or unsightly as a result, and provide limited habitat value."
  16. dentman4411

dentman4411 New Member

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I "used" to break into abandoned buildings/power plants/manufacture etc. for photography; take nothing - damage nothing approach. anyways i learned sometimes walking though the front door worked the best. This one particular time we were trying to get into a mental asylum and the demolition crew had already arrived so I just put on a hard hat and orange vest - pulled up to the gate and mumbled something to the guard and in i went!!!!

My point is I try and think outside the box, maybe just go down there in broad daylight with a saw, chop it up and take it. Chances are the locals will think you had obtained permission cause your soooo out in front not creepin or hiding ya know. AND if you get approached by the cops or city crew just say something like 'i was worried the tree would roll over on someones dog so i thought id help out"