Got my new insert installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho
After a few weeks of planning, researching, waiting and worrying I finally got my new Osburn 2400 installed today. I hired the best movers a guy could ask for. They lifted it into the fireplace like it was 100lb and then they proceeded to connect the liner. I told them I could get that part but they said I paid for an hour so they would get the job done. It was a good thing they offered to stay and help. I went up on the roof and pulled up on the liner while they positioned the insert. It took 4 tries and 2 yellow jackets climbing out between the liner and the chimney and down my hands but we got it done.

Tomorrow I need to go up and cut the excess liner off and secure the top plate. I can't wait to light her up and get the break in over with. I was able to use the old ash clean out for the fireplace to bring a 4" duct for fresh air into the insert. The house is pretty tight the old insert would start having draft problems if the bathroom fan was running and nobody opened a window.
I still need to get some tile down on the floor in front of the insert for ember protection. When I get the chance I am going to order some Roxul to stuff behind the stove and on the sides.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Attachments

• insert.jpg
    insert.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 467
Sweet, enjoy !!!

Very nice. Looks like you're ready for some heat!

Its awesome when you can find people that put that extra effort in like they did. Maybe it was payback time for your efforts you do Mike. Hope the next step goes well and safely on that roof tomorrow. Enjoy the new set of flames after that.
Happy heating.

That looks so much like a Lopi Republic....I can't wait for mine....

Looks awesome to me. Is that an exterior chimney? If not, why stuff roxul around it?

Joe

Hey Joe & Congrats. I'm an Osburn guy and I always like to hear when someone enjoys the product.

It sure is an exterior heat sucking fireplace. I will get a photo tomorrow of the ugly chimney tomorrow. Tomorrow morning should be cold enough to do my first break in fire. I could not resist and burned a piece of newspaper this afternoon. My wife looked at me like I am nuts since it was 75 in the house with the sun beating down all day.

That exterior chimney ain't the heat thief that you hear so much about here. I have heated this barn for twenty five years with a stove burning into a masonry chimney one one end of the house and we sleep under a sheet all winter.

Enjoy that good looking insert and installation. You have a warm winter ahead.

burleymike said:
My wife looked at me like I am nuts since it was 75 in the house with the sun beating down all day.

Nothing wrong with that. You don't want to "smoke check" the install for the first time when ya need it for heat. I have done it in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.