Got trailer... need winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When the situation allows I will drag limb logs to the field and stage them in a row one day and buck them into rounds and the next day we will roll in with the splitter and dump trailer...our record for splitting one day was 6 cord of ash.this was straight line wind storm trees....straight perfect logs.I was running the 6-way head on the splitter...we had to keep switching the guy out on the receiving end of the splitter (we needed 2 guys) :cool:.it was a brutal pace!...a record I will not try to break!

Reactions: Ashful
When the situation allows I will drag limb logs to the field and stage them in a row one day and buck them into rounds and the next day we will roll in with the splitter and dump trailer...our record for splitting one day was 6 cord of ash.this was straight line wind storm trees....straight perfect logs.I was running the 6-way head on the splitter...we had to keep switching the guy out on the receiving end of the splitter (we needed 2 guys) :cool:.it was a brutal pace!...a record I will not try to break!
That is so cool. I have debated picking up or making a multi-way head for my splitter, but have never pulled the trigger. On mine, the wedge is on the cylinder, whereas most I see with multi-wedges have a fixed wedge and moving push plate.

I would love to be able to have access to the logs you get! I would never take the 6-way off! It is a easy enough swap..one bolt and a nut and it is switched out...I run the 2-way/4-way on smaller stuff as the retracting hydraulic wedge allow you to adjust on the fly from 2-way to 4-way...that is the horizontal wedge wings drop below the beam height...it is very productive...
IMG_2310.jpg

I lucked out this year, and got a lot of stuff in that sweet 12" - 24" range. That's where I see the multi-wedge coming into play. Unfortunately, most years I'm getting all large stuff, and I don't see myself using the multiwedge on those... at least with my small splitter.

You're right though, if there were ever a time to do it, this would be it! Unfortunately, I just got recruited to build a kitchen island for my in-laws place, so that will keep me busy this week, while it's too cold to go out and split. On the heels of that I have another project lined up, but maybe I could slip the wedge build in first.

Time to go start hunting photos of one that would work on my machine.

edit: oh geez...I just found you can buy them for $25. No sense in making one from scratch, at that price!

I lucked out this year, and got a lot of stuff in that sweet 12" - 24" range. That's where I see the multi-wedge coming into play. Unfortunately, most years I'm getting all large stuff, and I don't see myself using the multiwedge on those... at least with my small splitter.

You're right though, if there were ever a time to do it, this would be it! Unfortunately, I just got recruited to build a kitchen island for my in-laws place, so that will keep me busy this week, while it's too cold to go out and split. On the heels of that I have another project lined up, but maybe I could slip the wedge build in first.

edit: oh geez...I just found you can buy them for $25. No sense in making one from scratch, at that price!

You need this with as much wood as you process....I was shocked you didn't have it already!