Grapple load delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kvesi122

Nov 20, 2018
Worcester County Mass
Howdy from central MA!

First year burning in a Dovre Cape Cod with 5 cords c/s/s.

I'm working on bucking and splitting another 6 cords for 2 years from now but I recently spoke with a local tree company that is willing to deliver a grapple load (~4 cords).

My driveway is a paved and perpendicular to the road and slightly uphill. Would you guys caution having a 4 cord grapple load truck resting on the pavement? I'm not 100% sure of the base material and depth. The driveway already has sections with alligator cracks so I'm not worried about more small cracks but I would like to avoid ruts.

Thank you for all of your advice in advance! Genuinely appreciate the ocean of info available on this site.

I don't think the truck would be a problem
But I would want him to put down long -wide and thick stabilizer leg supports
they would sink into your pavement

Reactions: kvesi122
Yeah I'd be a little worried about it, but hey there's only one way to truly find out.

I’d be less worried about it when it’s cold out and if theres frost in the ground then your good for sure. Driveways are always cleared of insulating snow so the frost goes deep under them- at least up that’s the case up here where it gets very cold in the depths of winter. I just posted about my truckload of wood I got today, take a look.

Reactions: pete33
I’d be less worried about it when it’s cold out and if theres frost in the ground then your good for sure. Driveways are always cleared of insulating snow so the frost goes deep under them- at least up that’s the case up here where it gets very cold in the depths of winter. I just posted about my truckload of wood I got today, take a look.

Was just looking at that! Nice stash! Was that rolling on a dirt road or paved? Massive truck.

Was just looking at that! Nice stash! Was that rolling on a dirt road or paved? Massive truck.
I’m on a short dead end gravel road but the truck came on local paved roads too. At first we were going to put the wood closer to where my stacks are but he would have had to drive the truck on part of my front lawn on the other side of my driveway, the ground has frost but not much yet and I was afraid he’d rut the lawn up so he unloaded from the road on another part of the yard. I have a 2 acre square lot. I wish I had more of course... oh and btw- they put weight restrictions on the local roads up here in the spring when the frost is coming out of the ground and the base isn’t very supportive then but after a few weeks they lift the restrictions and everyone can haul wood again and get the septics pumped. The highways are always open to trucks.

Last edited:
The outriggers can dig down deep. He might have steel plates to put down to spread the load.

8C35BFAD-4B0B-47BF-A020-C47D803D4A74.jpeg
The outriggers can dig down deep. He might have steel plates to put down to spread the load.
The trucker that delivered my truckload the other day didn’t have any outriggers on his truck/trailer but it was a big truck. He sure was fast with the grapple unloading. Of course he’s done it day in and day out for many years.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thank you for all of the responses! His truck is about half the size of the one posted above (minus the second trailer). I don't believe he has outriggers but I'll make sure he throws down some large pads if he intends to use them.

View attachment 234504
The trucker that delivered my truckload the other day didn’t have any outriggers on his truck/trailer but it was a big truck. He sure was fast with the grapple unloading. Of course he’s done it day in and day out for many years.
Oh man that’s good looking.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Every time I've checked craigslist or FB Market for grapples nothing comes up in my area. Seems just south of the border in Mass there's plenty to be had. What gives?

Anyone know a good supplier for wood by the grapple in central NH?

Every time I've checked craigslist or FB Market for grapples nothing comes up in my area. Seems just south of the border in Mass there's plenty to be had. What gives?

search for McClure Logging in Antrim/Hillsboro

You have to have some sort of logging operations going on in the area to get grapple loads. There’s a abundance of hardwood up here so there’s many paper mills here and logging to supply pulp for them so it’s easy to get a truckload of wood here.

You have to have some sort of logging operations going on in the area to get grapple loads. There’s a abundance of hardwood up here so there’s many paper mills here and logging to supply pulp for them so it’s easy to get a truckload of wood here.
I see the trucks on the road every day driving to and from work. Im not sure where they’re going or where they’re coming from.

However a lot of our lumber mills are going under so that may have something to do with it. Being in the most forested state in the US, you’d think there would be an abundance of logs but no ones selling. Or at least they’re not advertising.

I see the trucks on the road every day driving to and from work. Im not sure where they’re going or where they’re coming from.

However a lot of our lumber mills are going under so that may have something to do with it. Being in the most forested state in the US, you’d think there would be an abundance of logs but no ones selling. Or at least they’re not advertising.
Get the name and number of the trucking company and talk to them to see if they or someone they know sells truckloads of wood. If it’s like up here the loggers sell the wood by the cord to the mills or anyone that will buy it and then the trucker charges for their service just like they do with the mills. Up here the logging truckers charge $0.30 per mile and $10 a cord if you have them go get wood like I might have them go to a big log yard to get rejects that have metal in them or are a bit knarly. Otherwise they truckers just quote a price for a load of wood if they know it’s going to delivered in the local area.

Last edited:
Or have you tried looking in the yellow pages under logging to find a number? Or just online for logging in the area maybe.

Last edited:
It's always been like that in New Hampshire, even buying by the cord it's more than in Mass. We have a lot of trees too but it never made sense to me either.

Nice load, any specific sort of logs or just an assortment?

How many cords would you say?

truck and a pup has always yielded 9-10 cord for me. Truck looks short, but the pup being loaded sideways I think makes up for it.

Definitely a nice score.

How many cords would you say?
Well the driver said he can get 10-12 cords on his truck. I didn’t ask him how many cords he thought was there. It cost me $950. Now I need to find some scrounge wood That will dry faster than the oak will though. I have good wood for this winter and half of next winter so I’m not in real bad shape as far as dry wood goes.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Less than $100 bucks a cord delivered, not bad I'm sure if you figured it out what it would cost you to get and haul home!