Great day for splitting wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
After last night's "celebrations," I just want to let folks know that today is a great day for splitting wood. It will help burn off last night's over indulgences. :lol:

I got ahead of things in two ways....

One.... I didn't overindulge last but instead we went to bed relatively early....

Two.... We split some wood yesterday with the 8 pound maul... More to go today followed by shoveling snow off the roof :)

lol I wasnt up very late myself,just had a couple drinks after dinner.Hard for me to stay awake past 10-1030 most nights as I've gotten older.I did finish splitting the last of my salvaged Walnut tops & large branches this morning with my old trusty Plumb 5lb double-bit though.Great to split,few small scattered knots,13 degrees outside & they practically split themselves.... :coolsmile:

Attachments

• walnut tops 10111 (2).jpg
    walnut tops 10111 (2).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 298
Today was a cutting and hauling home day for me. mid 50's here today so I ended up sweating a lot.

Backwoods Savage said:
After last night's "celebrations," I just want to let folks know that today is a great day for splitting wood. It will help burn off last night's over indulgences. :lol:

Sav, glad you and Mrs. Sav had a nice night, please do us a favor and keep that cold weather that is coming in.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis, that is exactly what I had planned....to get the rest of the red oak split that I started between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately, at 1:00 am I got called to this and didn't get any sleep. Hope you had a good day though.

Attachments

• Tuscola Fire 1-1-2011 Pic 1-2.jpg
    Tuscola Fire 1-1-2011 Pic 1-2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 262
PapaDave said:
Chief, hope no one was hurt in that?!
No, thank God they were not at home, although we did not have any information as to whether it was occupied or not. We did make a good stop on the fire, but as you can imagine, a lot of damage to the house and contents.

No good can come from a fire like that. Too bad it broke your own party and many of us are very thankful for people like you who do these things....usually at the wrong times. Thank you for being the fireman that you are. We are fortunate to have several good firemen on this board and we thank them too.

tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Dennis, that is exactly what I had planned....to get the rest of the red oak split that I started between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately, at 1:00 am I got called to this and didn't get any sleep. Hope you had a good day though.

Never a good sight to pull up to.

As for me . . . I went to bed early . . . never been much of a night owl and not much of a drinker . . . plus I've come down with a bad cold.

firefighterjake said:
tfdchief said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Never a good sight to pull up to.

As for me . . . I went to bed early . . . never been much of a night owl and not much of a drinker . . . plus I've come down with a bad cold.
Jake, Glad someone got some sleep. Take care of that cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.