1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Greenheat in DC

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by begreen, Nov 16, 2013.

1. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I just heard back from John Ackerley. They hope to have a updated report later today. In the meantime visit their website for the latest. Tom of Woodstock generously turned over the grand prize money to hearth.com members Matt (nwwalker) and Jason with his Intensifire. That's a huge help to these guys that paid out of their pocket to travel and demonstrate their ideas and a class act by Tom Morrisey.

Here is a blog post on the final rankings:
    http://forgreenheat.blogspot.com/2013/11/ranking-of-stoves-at-wood-stove.html

Kudos to U of MD for the lowest emissions stove. And to Wittus for creating the most efficient stove tested.
    raybonz likes this.
  3. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
  4. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    John said he hopes to have an update out later today that lists the final results.
  5. Tenn Dave

Tenn Dave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Tennessee and New Jersey Shore
    Wow, that picture is very handsome !!
  6. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Yeah, I wasn't crazy about brown but it looks good in their set up, since mine's the same I'm considering brown if I get one. Anxious to see the final product of the steel hybrid.
  7. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

If your set up is as tight of clearance as this photo then the Steel Hybrid stove might not work...........Its minimum adjustable height is 31 inches. That's almost 3 inches taller than the PH.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  8. teutonicking

teutonicking Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Progress Hybrid in Brown.jpg
    I have one in brown as well. I love the way it looks, particularly with the brownish bricks that I have in my chimney and hearth. But its obviously a personal preference issue.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    lopiliberty and raybonz like this.
  9. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    I agree 100% depending on the end design AND the requirements (clearances and hearthpad). I've filed away the info on the Sirocco as a good possibility if not much changes by the time we decide we want to replace the Republic, which hopefully won't be too soon, unless we really need the burn times for some reason. BUT that kind of pricing and knowing it's a quality company...I'll keep an eye out for a smaller version, since over 3 CU FT is just WAY too much stove for this place. I bet a 2 CU FT firebox with a comparable price range would be a great seller, for those of use heating smaller spaces.
  10. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

That is PURDY! I also like the charcoal against red brick too.
  11. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

thats as classy an act as ive seen in ages! kudo's to tom and his bunch, congrats on the win! hearing what he did for those guys who paid outta pocket on a shoestring budget makes me an even bigger fan of his company , products and definately him
  12. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I don't know it they shared it all with them. But I did read that Woodstock bought Matt's rocket stove to take back with them and will be working with Matt on refining rocket stove tech. Pretty neat stuff.
    n3pro, Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  13. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Woodstock + Rocketstove = KOOOOL!!!
    raybonz likes this.
  14. 1750

1750 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Michigan
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, speaking to Matt, all his stove lacked was thermal mass in the upper chamber. A serpentine channel of soapstone up there should make an interesting combo.
    ddddddden and Backwoods Savage like this.
  16. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    That's what I was afraid of, I'll have to measure exact when the time comes, shrouds in the way now.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If it is just the black box you want, that is a possibility. This is one thing they have aimed for; each to his or her own. If you are not interested in color options or anything else, that is what you can get.
    raybonz likes this.
  18. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    That's real nice teut, how many sf you heating with that baby? I saw a epa list of stove output and the PH was something like 13k btu - 73k btu, that's a lot of juice, my princess was something like 12k - 29 k
  19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We had to laugh Sunday when they tested the Ideal Steel. Such low numbers could not be accounted for so they would not accept them and blamed their equipment. Yet, we found it interesting that they took the same equipment to two other stoves and continued the testing. Woodstock was tested again later and as you can see, the numbers had to come out good to put them back on top.

I also agree: Tom Morrissey is one wonderful class act.
    alforit and raybonz like this.
  20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    That happened on at least one test run of Jason's device in the old Treemont too.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  21. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

I am very impressed by this man...........What a selfless act he has done...........
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  22. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    They're going to spin off an all black version on their Solid Works system for me. After a close look I think the stove will look better stripped of all the bling and in monotone coloring. It will still have an industrial look, but that will be less prominent in monotone. This is what I would expect for the base $1500 model to look like.
    Backwoods Savage and raybonz like this.
  23. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Are you a beta tester? When you getting it BG?
  24. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    No, I think that would be unlikely. I wouldn't mind testing the stove at all but my wife is pretty particular about the looks of a stove sitting in the living room. It's a visual focal point so looks are important to her. I might get away with testing it for a season, but I suspect that would only be if we hung on to the T6. But who knows? I'll show her the all black model and will let her be the judge.
    Oldhippie and raybonz like this.
  25. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    More press. This time from the National Geographic Society.

Looks like Wittus and Lopi tied for second prize. They donated the $10K award back to the alliance for Green Heat. Well done folks. Here is further info from the article:

Winners for individual categories were HWAM (Danish) for innovation; Travis Industries for lowest carbon monoxide emissions and also for market appeal; IntensiFire for affordability; the University of Maryland's Mulciber for lowest particulate emissions; and Woodstock Soapstone for efficiency.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/11/131120-wood-stove-decathlon-winners/

I love the comradery and helpfulness of all the companies. This was a good meet for everyone. I'm particularly happy for the Mulciber team. They approached stove design from a new angle and came up with an exceptionally clean burning design. An kudos to Jason for an affordable design to convert smoke dragons into clean burners.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013