Had hardwood logs delivered today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fidiro

Feb 24, 2010
Central NJ
I had 40 yards of hardwood tree trunks delivered for free today and will be getting another 20 yard load tomorrow. These are about 20-21' long logs between 10"-24" diameter. The person needing to get rid of them still has many more to get rid of. I, origionally only asked for one load but he asked if I could just take one more to finish their work day today so I said yes to help them out. After they delivered the second load and I saw the nice straight logs, I quickly said bring me one more tomorrow.

Being that there will be about 60 yards of nice free logs to cut and split should I just stop here or consider stocking 80 yards?

I don't know how many cords this will turn out to be but I burn about 6-8 cords per season and my parents burn about 8-10. I'm set for this winter but wanted to stock for next as I don't season my wood as much as many on here do.

These deliveries couldn't have come at a worst time as I thought I would not be cutting anymore this year and my logsplitter in my sig went on strike.

I just need to know about how many cords would 60 yards produce and would I be wasting wood if I take anymore than 60?

If I had space, and if the guys with the logs needed to get rid of them, I'd take the logs regardless of whether I needed the wood. I couldn't resist.

Tell him to keep it coming. Even if it was cut split and tightly stacked, 60 yards is somewhere between 12 and 13 cord. More than likely, there is somewhere around 8 there tops.

I just realized that the container is actually a 30 yarder so I will have 90 yards worth of raw wood by tomorrow afternoon.

I may just say to bring me two tomorrow and stack them neatly in the corner of the properly and pick at them once in a while. This will be my biggest free delivered wood amount in a day so it is actually hard to resist but don't want it to start rotting if I take too much for me to handle.

I'll decide tomorrow after they bring the 3rd load and I may just say to bring another and stop there.

If anyone in middlesex county, NJ needs some let me know and they may be close enough to you to drop off a free load if you have the room to take it. I told the boss if they have that much to get rid of to list it on craigs with free local delivery, so they may do just that soon.

Is there no lumber value to this wood?

Bspring said:
Is there no lumber value to this wood?

I can't tell what wood is what so I don't know if it's worth anything for lumber use. I could snap a few pics tomorrow and post them here if you would like to see what they look like.

I know these are very straight logs and will be very easy to cut with my new 034 even with the 18". I'll keep the 390 close by just in case, don't want to overwork this one.LOL Now for the splitting I will either have to rent a splitter or bring out the old axe, not a fiskars.

Sweet score. Too bad I'm not closer or I'd definitely help you cut it up.

wendell said:
Sweet score. Too bad I'm not closer or I'd definitely help you cut it up.

Wasn't there a road trip you always talked about doing? Don't forget to hitch the splitter and I'll have the beer ready.LOL

Thanks for the offer though. I always love cutting it but hate the splitting.

Well, I did just do 800 miles this weekend going to 3 different wood cutting events so not sure I will be on the road again soon.

I'm in ocean county. I'd love to help them out. Would they make the trip

I wish too much free wood already cut into logs was my biggest problem. lol, im scrounging and begging every chance I get. I did however just score a deal with a farmer friend of mine that wants to clear a nice chunk of land.

Nice score, I hear starting Thursday the east coast has a storm moving in with lots of rain and wind.

zap

mrfjsf said:
I wish too much free wood already cut into logs was my biggest problem. lol, im scrounging and begging every chance I get. I did however just score a deal with a farmer friend of mine that wants to clear a nice chunk of land.

Although they are at most 24" round they are not cut into logs they are about 20'-21' long to fit into the 30 container.

BTW, you have a good deal of your own going with that land clearing.

That is perfect, gives you the opportunity to process them however you like.

Take all you can. Logs will last quite a while if off the ground. Get it all cut and split this winter, then decide how much you need for the next two years and sell the rest next winter.

Would love a load at that length, if they are willing to drive down to exit 8 give a yell :)

Great score! If they are doing any work up in NNJ - have them swing a few loads over to Lafayette!

Sounds like the pot at the end of the rainbow.

I wish you guys were closer but it doesn't look like he will travel so far, sounds like he wants to stay within 15 miles. I did not get a delivery today because their chainsaw guy went to another job somewhere, but he will get me more maybe early next week and I'll ask him if he really needs to get rid of these that he may have to go a little farther, we'll see. The way he talks there must be 20 more loads there or more. He is really packing my loads though since I ask 'just one more' so he makes it count. The truck looked like it was well over 80K, but it's local so nice and easy gets the loads here.

These are pics from the two loads I got. Let me know if anyone can tell what wood this is. If I had to guess there is some Ash in there.

Attachments

• Photo0521 (Small).jpg
    Photo0521 (Small).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Photo0522 (Small).jpg
    Photo0522 (Small).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 429
  • Photo0523 (Small).jpg
    Photo0523 (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 431
  • Photo0524 (Small).jpg
    Photo0524 (Small).jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 406
Looks to me like you got a nice load of ash (based on the first two pics) . . . with some maple in it as well . . . but I'm better at IDing trees by their leaves.

Keep it coming! Buck as much as you can get it organized and split whenever... if you have a friend with land ask to dump it off thete.... sell some ifyou have to but its hard to pass up free wood ... and that's good stuff!

Drooooooooollllll.......Get as much as you can!

im jelous..

Status
Not open for further replies.