Had hardwood logs delivered today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule #1 for wood burners: Every man needs to get at least one Grapple Load of Wood delivered in his lifetime and split it by hand.

fire_man said:
Rule #1 for wood burners: Every man needs to get at least one Grapple Load of Wood delivered in his lifetime and split it by hand.

I hope this rule has changed. There is no way I'm splitting one of these loads by hand, well by axe since I still have to hand them to the splitter. OOOOOOOOOOOhhh forgot my splitter is on strike so I may have to pull out the old axe for a few rounds and quit.

I got a call at 6 saying they got the container full and the driver was on his way so there it is 3 loads as of right now and this time my father asked the driver about how many more loads he thinks is there and he says that only 2 or 3 more. When I spoke with the bossman of the company I didn't ask how many but the way it sounded at the time it was 20 loads.

Sorry guys, but I'm getting greedy here and if it's only 2 or 3 more I am going to stuff my parents woods with wood. I am taking it because you guys are making me take it, thanks alot.LOL It would have been nice to share this but again it is too far for these guys to travel, I was lucky enough to have been only about 8 miles from them.

I got alot of cutting and splitting to do. Nice that my fathers 310se has a clam bucket to pick up and cut.

fire_man said:
This year alone I have cut, stacked and split about 7-8 cords. Most of it was dropped off in 8' lengths. All split by hand with a Fiskers Pro. Went though a 6lb sledge after about 2 cords it cracked in half.

My confession is after splitting the first Grapple Load completely by hand I immediately bought the splitter and never looked back!

fire_man said:

A-HEM. =P

I'm the log splitter 'round these here parts. I split logs five months pregnant once. BEAT THAT.

As far as the free wood goes, HOLY CRAP yes you should take it! Free wood! It's not like it's gonna go bad between now and when you get around to cutting it. Man, that's free heat, so free money!

It's so funny, when I drive around now, I see wood everywhere. "Oh hey, their tree looks dead... I wonder if they'd let me cut it down..." Money DOES in fact grow on trees!

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
fire_man said:
It's so funny, when I drive around now, I see wood everywhere. "Oh hey, their tree looks dead... I wonder if they'd let me cut it down..." Money DOES in fact grow on trees!

~Rose

I thought I was the only one this sick....LOL

Pelletnubi --> you're killing me dude. Don't show us pictures, it's even better then I imagined! You've struck a deal with the devil or something. Those loads will get you years ahead. I'd cut my pinky finger off for 4 of those deliveries!

Jackpot!!!!! I have no idea what species you've got there - but it looks good to me.

If it was me, I'd take every load he can drop.

I think you have tulip poplar, ash, maple (sugar and silver, I think), and red oak.

Man, if you've got the space, take all he'll give you and start selling.

Certainly no doubt about that first picture being white ash. Nice stuff. I also see some maple in the other pictures.

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
fire_man said:

A-HEM. =P

I'm the log splitter 'round these here parts. I split logs five months pregnant once. BEAT THAT.

As far as the free wood goes, HOLY CRAP yes you should take it! Free wood! It's not like it's gonna go bad between now and when you get around to cutting it. Man, that's free heat, so free money!

~Rose

Ooops, Sorry Rose, no disrespect intended. Its just kind of uncommon these days to get lady types splitting so much wood! You have my respect especially the 5 months pregnant part!

basswidow said:
Pelletnubi --> you're killing me dude. Don't show us pictures, it's even better then I imagined! You've struck a deal with the devil or something. Those loads will get you years ahead. I'd cut my pinky finger off for 4 of those deliveries!

Jackpot!!!!! I have no idea what species you've got there - but it looks good to me.

If it was me, I'd take every load he can drop.

It never happened if I didn't show pics. I'll get a few shots of the rest when I get a chance. I'll try to get a couple closer shots. According to the math done in the earlier post I should have about 25 split cords if there are 2-3 more loads. With this rain I may only get the rest mid next week but I may get a surprise call early again saying the driver is on his way.

I see what look like a bunch of Tulip Poplar, a White Oak or two, and at least one Red Maple.

It's just jealousy - keep posting the pictures - I can take it!

You're right. It never happened if there's no pictures.

Tulip poplar is not great. Easy as heck to split - dries very light, doesn't give alot of heat, but should be alright for burning. You've got some good wood in that mix. I think I see some cherry too and ash. Anytime you can get free delivered logs - it's like christmas!

Mike PA said:
Take all you can. Logs will last quite a while if off the ground. Get it all cut and split this winter, then decide how much you need for the next two years and sell the rest next winter.

With this I would have to agree. Someone else has already done the hard work for you. I'd love someone to drop off some straight logs without the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.