had to rent a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
well I am gonna pick up a rental splitter friday night and my weekend off will be splitting wood. I can't afford to buy a splitter right now.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

I already warned the G/F, this weekend is splitting time. So leave me alone till it is done!!!!!

How much does it cost you to rent a splitter for the whole weekend? around here its like 100 bucks a day. if you rent it in the am you have to have it back before they close or get charged for another day. Three weekends would pay for a splitter you can use on your schedule. But I do understand not having all that $$$ to fork out all at once. Boy I wonder if one of those rent to own places have splitters...hmmm. Have fun

it is like $60 a day. I will pick it up friday eve. and have it back Monday morning. That is 2 days.

Maybe, just maybe if I feel crazy I will get it all done saturday and have it back by saturday evening. But I won't push myself for that.

I am still on the fence about when I buy one, If I will spring the cash for a big 20 ton or save some $$ and go to like a 10 ton or something.

I have asked around but still feel like I am unsure about the tonage that I would need and would work WELL.

I saw a 8 or 10 ton at Menards the other day for $500. I can't remember the brand.

Todd said:
I saw a 8 or 10 ton at Menards the other day for $500. I can't remember the brand.

Hydrolic??

I don't think we have Menards here.

Shoot you guys are getting riped. I bougt my spliter for under 30 bucks.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1,023 bytes · Views: 288
I rent my splitter for $40 per day ($80 for the weekend). Can pick it up Fri after 4pm and can drop off Mon morning. Works for the time being until I can afford my own.

I did the rental thing for a time as well. I was a good learning experience. The biggest down side was that I was forced to split all my wood at once which was exhausting. Now that I own my own I take things in a much more leasurely fashion and stop my splitting at even the mention of the word b-e-e-r.

Here's a pic of my rig:

Attachments

• IMG_1099a.jpg
    IMG_1099a.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 224
Catskill said:
I did the rental thing for a time as well. I was a good learning experience. The biggest down side was that I was forced to split all my wood at once which was exhausting. Now that I own my own I take things in a much more leasurely fashion and stop my splitting at even the mention of the word b-e-e-r.

Here's a pic of my rig:

We're definately on the same tack/mindset.......you're just a little further ahead. ;-)

The G/F can't help ?

The wife wouldn't mind as long as the just the pile of wood grew, right ?

Catskill said:

Here's a pic of my rig:

Sheesh, from the pics it looks like your summers are a wee bit cooler there... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.