hard cement stuff to seal corners inside stove ?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
what do i use (INSIDE THE STOVE) to put in the seams of the stove to make it air tight ?? its a cement kind of stuff hard as a rock

Stove cement. I use Rutland but I think there are others out there. You can buy it at a local stove shop and most hardware stores carry it also.

Will (homesaver stove gasket cement) work??? The guy at the stove shop said it would but I see its gasket cement?? He's not the brightest guy in the world.

Just check the temperature rating on the cement. If it is going to be inside the firebox I woul go with a higher rated cement.

One thing to be aware of is that just troweling on furnace cement on a flat surface normally doesnt last. Generally you need to have a gap to fill in like two bricks butting up to one another. If its just spread into a corner like window caulking it will normally pop out after a few temperaure cycles.

There are ways of covering up surfaces that usually entail instaling a steel mesh on top of the sruface and then troweling the new stuff into the mesh. It may still delaminate eventually but usually stays in one piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.