Hardie Backer on a log wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAPA SMURF

Oct 1, 2013
Hi Guys. Just another newbie here. I need your opinions on my project specs. I'll try to keep it brief.
Have a small log home. going to put a Lopi Leyden wood burning stove in the corner. Have allowed for log movement where called for i.e. doors, windows. interior walls. screwing hardie backer 500 right onto the log walls with the 8x8 screw pattern. Am I going to run into problems with expansion of the logs behind the hardie backer? I'm using six inch metal studs for hearth and surround. Combustibles will be almost eight inches from surface of veneer ledge stone. Thanks for your time.

If your logs are not totally dry, they will continue to settle. If you are screwed directly to the logs, your Hardie Bakcer will more than likely crack, buckle etc...

I don't know if they're "totally" dry but there far from green. They were bought from a log home company and have been up for three years under an eight foot covered deck that goes all the way around the house. Would I be right in thinking that if I cut slots for the screws that it would be far enough from the heat to be a worry?
The 6" metal surround is only going to be fastened to the wall at the top plate and the bottom plate. the studs themselves will not be screwed to the wall.
there will be another layer of hardie board on the outside of the metal framing, then wire mesh, then a scratch coat and the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.