1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman Accentra Insert OAK

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Justin M, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Where does a Harman OAK terminate for an Accentra insert with a masonry chimney? Does it only go part way up the flue and use a spacer on the block off plate, or go all the way up? And in either case what prevents it from sucking in combustion air from the exhaust?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    drill through the back wall of the chimney and run it or run it up to the top but in a way it will not suck in exhaust. The liner on your Accentra better go all the way to the top of your chimney.

Eric
  3. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I forgot to mention that the chimney is in the garage so I can't do that. Yes, the liner goes to the top, that's why I was wondering about pulling intake air right next to it.
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    It has been done and Harman makes a special cap but I have never used it. I can not locate the part number right now but will keep looking.

Eric
    Bridgeman likes this.
  5. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    #1-00-674104

Adjustable Chimney Intake Extension....also have never used one, but thats what you'd be looking for
    Justin M and kinsmanstoves like this.
  6. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Thanks, I'll look in to that at my dealer. Does anyone have any experience with that setup?
  7. holstein

holstein Member

Loc:
    Goffstown, NH
    We have this setup on our Accentra insert. Works great. We also opted for the official Harman OAK kit which mounts the intake to the frame in the fireplace matching the exhaust. 3" intake pipe goes up the chimney a few feet beyond the damper block off.
  8. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    Good to know. What setup do you have at the top of the chimney? Is it just a spacer on the block off plate to allow air down the flue?
  9. holstein

holstein Member

Loc:
    Goffstown, NH
    Yes, the extension kit is a four sided rectangle with louvered sides whick allow air intake. The extension is mounted to the crown of the chimneyvand the block off is then mounted to the top of the extension.
  10. Justin M

Justin M Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    How much does it raise the block off? Just wondering if I have enough slack in the liner.
  11. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    I have the Harman kit sitting in my living room waiting to be installed. I will take a couple of pics this weekend. I'm waiting on a block off plate from local tin knocker and a new top plate for the chimney. I plan to install the OAK next week. I'm glad to hear Holstein has had good results. My install is a little challenging because I have an old fieldstone fire place. So it is going to be fun getting the block off in place!
  12. mrjohneel

mrjohneel Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Suburban Boston
    My Harman insert in an internal fireplace has the exhaust liner going to the top through a top plate that has an open grid around the bottom to allow air in the chimney. I then terminate my OAK half way up the chimney well below the exhaust. It's been working well.
  13. deercamp

deercamp New Member

Loc:
    se mass
    Looking for some help here. What most of the post are saying on here is that they are only running the oak halfway up the chimney and it's working
    great for them. This is what I was planning on doing. I called Harman direct to ask them a few different questions and they told me with the new 52i insert that I should run the oak all the way up to the top with the exhaust pipe. They said if I did not that there would be a loud rumbling noise. So is there two separate places on the adjustable chimney intake extension # 1-00-674104 to attach the 4" exhaust and the 3" oak? If so is this the only cap I need on top of the chimney? Ty