Harman Advance dist. blower comes on then shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer_6998

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
NH
The dist. blower on my Harman Advance comes on for a short time once the stove is up to temp. then shuts off B4 the room gets up to temp when it is set on room temp. Blower will come back on a short time later, but again will stop blowing out before getting to the desired room temp. Seems to work fine if I am running the stove on the "stove temp" setting. Could it be a bad thermostat? Just gave the stove its preseason cleaning. Thanks!

Boomer_6998 said:
The dist. blower on my Harman Advance comes on for a short time once the stove is up to temp. then shuts off B4 the room gets up to temp when it is set on room temp. Blower will come back on a short time later, but again will stop blowing out before getting to the desired room temp. Seems to work fine if I am running the stove on the "stove temp" setting. Could it be a bad thermostat? Just gave the stove its preseason cleaning. Thanks!

You might want to move your room temperature probe so it isn't signaling that the temperature has been met.

room sensing probe doesnt control the distribution fan, the ESP probe does......bad ESP probe, or bad circuitboard

Lousyweather said:
room sensing probe doesnt control the distribution fan, the ESP probe does......bad ESP probe, or bad circuitboard
Is there a way to test first the ESP?

if you have the fan set on a rather high setting, and the stove is running at a rather low setting, it is not totally unusual for the blower to shut off for a bit and then restart. The ESP needs to see a min of 165 to know that it should be blowing, so a low fire and high fan will cool the stove off faster than it is heating up and it doesn't want to blow cold air at you. Dirty ESP will do the same thing, cuz it can't "feel" the actual temp of the exhaust. Or, like Lousyweather says, bad probe or bad board. Only way to test the ESP is through the Diagnostic computer from Harman.

Delta-T said:
if you have the fan set on a rather high setting, and the stove is running at a rather low setting, it is not totally unusual for the blower to shut off for a bit and then restart. The ESP needs to see a min of 165 to know that it should be blowing, so a low fire and high fan will cool the stove off faster than it is heating up and it doesn't want to blow cold air at you. Dirty ESP will do the same thing, cuz it can't "feel" the actual temp of the exhaust. Or, like Lousyweather says, bad probe or bad board. Only way to test the ESP is through the Diagnostic computer from Harman.

x2, the DDM would tell the technician what the ESP is reading at a given time in the cycle, and if one knows the ESP temperatures which cause the stove to do what it does, its fairly easy to diagnose the issue. I am unaware of whatever resistance reading occurs with the ESP at a given temperature, so, without the DDM, it would be very difficult to diagnose specific temperature issues with the ESP.

Is it safe to assume that the diagnostic computer can only be used/read by a Harman Dealer/Tech........AKA service call?

well, any human with eyeballs can read/interpret the diagnostic computer, but only a tech is gonna have one. double edged sword kinda thing. I'd start by cleaning the probe (remove, wipe down with wet paper towel, re-insert). This is the likely culprit, unless you've already tried that.

Delta-T said:
well, any human with eyeballs can read/interpret the diagnostic computer, but only a tech is gonna have one. double edged sword kinda thing. I'd start by cleaning the probe (remove, wipe down with wet paper towel, re-insert). This is the likely culprit, unless you've already tried that.
Yes Delta, like I said I just gave it the "pre-season" cleaning, including cleaning the probe with some glass cleaner. I have only gone thru 2 or 3 bags of pellets since but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pull it out and clean it a second time.

hmmm, very odd with freshly cleaned probe. usually when the probe is bad you get all kinds of erratic operation (stove shuts down, blinking status light stuff) not just the fan turning on/off. "theoretically" if your feed adjuster knob is set to like 1-2 this same thing could happen, any chance your feed adjuster is set that low?

i find that the "happy spot" for the feed adjuster is 4-4.5, try that, see if it solves your prob.

dont thank me yet, it might not be the problem at all, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.